Gtx295

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help and Support' started by philwhite, Jun 20, 2009.

1. philwhite

philwhite New Member

I currently use a 9800GX2 card and you will see my system specs listed below. Will i get any great increase in performance if i fit a GTX295 instead for playing the latest games??
    For example i use 16xAA and 16xAF in CODWAW stutter free and other new(ish) titles too.

Phil.

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

I'm unsure as to the difference between the two cards (power wise) although you can always check the VGA charts at 3D Guru:
    Guru3D VGA Charts

I did have a quick look and the 295 may be a bit new as I couldn't see any figures but I did only take a quick look..
    The rule of thumb I always stick to is 25%. I'll explain.. Whenever I upgrade either chips or graphics I want to see an increase of at least 25% otherwise you just won't notice the difference really.
    Take my current card for example, a ATI 4870, now they have just released a 4890 but the power increase is only like 10% or so which you'll hardly notice really (and certainly not worth £200!) So what I do is wait a generation or two and then see whats available. I know the next gen stuff will be out later this year (DX11 cards) so it might be worth waiting especially as I don't see the 295 giving that much more than the card you already have.

3. Diminished

Diminished New Member

I think this card uses 2 GPU's so its like having 2 gfx cards. I would def recommend this card.

4. philwhite

philwhite New Member

My current 9800GX2 also has two GPU's.

5. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi Phil,
    I still think it's worth while waiting but i also know what it's like when you want to get that next upgrade and patience just doesn't come into it...;)