Windows 7 Hard Drive Making Odd Humming Sound

U

Unregistered

I bought an HP m8307c running Vista Home Premium a few months ago and ever since I bought it, the hard drive has been making a weird humming noise whenever it's doing something. The best way I can describe the noise is it sounds similar to the humming noise you would hear when you change the channel on the t.v. to a channel that's off the air, a constant high-pitched hum. Hope that makes sense for somebody. At times the sound is constant but other times it's intermittent, it seemingly depends on the activity going on in the hard drive. I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem and if so, is there a way to make it stop? Thanks in advance for any help.

If it is as you say quite loud then I would contact your supplier and see if they will replace the drive. They are not supposed to sound like that (obviously) and it may fail on you at somepoint. It might bt the case where it's just a noisy drive and you could try using this utility :
HD Tune 2.50 download from Guru3D.com
to see if a fault crops up. If noting shows I'd still contact the manufacturer and get them to exchange it under warrenty.

I think the above link is not working for some reason so try this one:
http://www.hdtune.com/

This issue occurs when the host serial ATA controller becomes corrupted download the controller from the link provided for your Asus IPIBL-LB motherboard
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Ultimate User

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try these out and see if anything works to fix it.

I tried both suggestions that you guys gave but so far neither one has worked. I figured I'd give it a couple days to see how it goes and I can still hear the noise whenever the hard drive is running. I've noticed specifically it will start doing that when I'm running AIM and a couple of other programs, one other one being Photoshop. Even as I type this i can hear the sound too. I was thinking it might be related to certain programs but it seems to happen at random times with random things running. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You could try opening up the case (assuming it's a desktop pc) and checking the screws holding the HD aren't loose. If it is just a noisy drive you could try fitting little rubber grommets over the screws and between the case and the HD. This may cut down on vibration and thusly noise.

Run a chkdsk. Right-click on your drive,choose properties, tools, error checking and schedule a chkdsk for the next boot.

Back