Windows 7 hard drive not accessible

citrix

Extraordinary Member
I got pop up in utorrent says a directoy is corrupt, I start to run chkdsk on that drive. in this case in have drive letter E.

I click on computer, then go to the drive, right click, properties, tools, check now.
it says the drive is need to to forced to dismount. I click on ok. then in computers, the drive just show the letter, not size or disk meter.

In the open windows on task bar, I did not see scan disk running, or maybe I accidently closed because I was switching between several programs. I thought restart pc the drive will show again, but after restart, the drive does not show up, it says 'E:\ is not accessible, the file or directory is corrupted and unreadabe.' I tried to start pc 2 times, still same.

how to solve this problem?

Have you looked at it in Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc)?

Have you tried running chkdsk for the Recovery environment. Make sure you know which drive letter it is since it might be different that you would expect.

If none of this works, you might want to download something Partition Wizard (bootable version), burn it and boot to it. See if the partiton can be repaired using it?

I looked in disk management it showing file system RAW, % free 100%,

Did I lose all data on that drive already? what is Recovery environment ?

windows had forced discmount to the drive, can I just it mount it? how?

A picture of the Disk Management window using the snipping tool and attaching might help, but does it show any red marks on the left side of the display?

The Windows Recovery environment is when you boot to a Recovey CD or Install DVD and select Repair my computer. You may also be able to hit F8 during boot and select Repair my computer and go to the Command Prompt. See if you can run Chkdsk from there. The drive letters might be different than you expect, so check first.

The Partition Wizard has the abiltiy to repair a partition, if nothing else seems to work. Of course, it may not be able to repair either. There are other Partiton management software available, so you might even consider purchasing an advanced version of one of them.

I downloaded Partition Wizard Home Edition(minitool partition wizard home edition 5.2) and running it, it showing my files are still in the drive, but not accessible in windows.

I have attached a screenshot of disk management.

I also run chkdsk in recovery enviroment, it still says disk is corrupted, chkdsk cannot continue.

what should I do now?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 548
If the drive is not accessible from Windows or WindowsRE, you may want to download a version of Linux Live, like Ubuntu so you can boot to the CD and move your files to another location. If you can do that, you would be free to try to let Partition Wizard or another good Partition Manager attempt to repair the partition, or reformat.

These, of course, would be your decision. I suppose the importance of the files would guide your path.

You may want to wait around to see if someone else has some ideas.

Back
Top Bottom