Hard drive space disappearing, literally

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Hardware' started by shadowman9, Nov 15, 2009.

1. shadowman9

shadowman9 New Member

Hi, I am having a REALLY weird problem. My hard drive space is disappearing GBs per minute. This started yesterday while I was at work and my girlfriend swears she didn't touch my pc at all. This morning I ran the free version of Treesize twice to do a comparison. The only thing that changed was the amount of free space I had at the time of the scan. So apparently no new files are being created? I tried limiting the allocation size for system restore which gave me a few GBs for a second, but then they disappeared again. When I got home last night windows was trying to create a backup, so I set that up to go on to my external hard drive and when I woke up this morning it said the backup had failed. I turned that option off and disconnected my hard drive and still no luck. When I reboot my machine all of my free space returns, but then starts disappearing again! I don't know what else to do... In the time it took me to write this plea I have lost nearly 4gb! Please help!

2. Highwayman

Highwayman Extraordinary Member

Might be good time to start deep anti virus and malware scans

3. shadowman9

shadowman9 New Member

yea that's kinda what I was afraid of :( I'm currently using Microsoft Security Essentials and running a full scan. Do you think that will suffice or should I revert to AVG or McAfee? I haven't had a virus issue for a couple years now, but just switched over to MSE when I updated to 7 and now this. lol

4. Highwayman

Well I personally prefer to use 3rd party vendors (in my case Avast with IObit 360 & Malwarebytes) as windows defender was utterly useless so I don't hold much faith in Microsofts 1st attempt at a anti-virus app.

5. shadowman9

shadowman9 New Member

Ok, I reinstalled McAfee, uninstalled MSE, and installed Malwarebytes. Ran everything and Malwarebytes found 1 threat, but even though I've gotten rid of it, the problem persists. If you've got any last-ditch efforts I'd love to hear them, but I am at a loss. Thanks for your help thus far!

6. Highwayman

Another experiment would be to load up safe mode as see if the same thing is happening, that would eliminate any doubt about a suspect programs causing it or not...since safe mode doesnt load any drivers or 3rd party apps.

shadowman9 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. tblount

tblount New Member

Are you sure that hybernation isn't building restore files? Sounds like it's happening when left alone. That's when hybernation is activated.

shadowman9 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. shadowman9

shadowman9 New Member

well. I am not sure what worked, but I am no longer losing free space into the abyss. At least not for the moment. I went through multiple full scans with the various anti-virus apps everyone suggested and while I'm sure my PC's health is better for it, none solved the problem. It was only after I disabled all services and then went through re-enabling them one by one that whatever was wrong seemed to fix itself. I have restored all of the services I turned off and for whatever reason that did the trick. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions. + reps all around!

9. tblount

tblount New Member

One of my last blogs... about Speed tweeks listed below in my tag line. Covers about 200 features/services you can turn off. A few people have commented that the tweeks also reduce the boot time. I've got mine down to 17 seconds as measured by BootRacer. I can tell you one thing for sure.. the I7 processor with Win 7 64 bit and unnecessary services turned off will easily open 100 windows without crashing. I've opened about 65 to 70... lost exact count... and still had almost 50% of my resources available... and I've only got 3 gb ram. I can only dream what 24 gb could do.