Hard drives

dave67

I been in the market for new drives for my win10 system and I have always had WD blue drives but I been eyeing WD black drives. But the reviews of the reliability are mixed on amazon and best buy reviews. I have one older model of the WD black and I going to install it and test it with smart and will have to look up the most important part of the smart test to see if I should still use it. What are the experiences with WD black drives with other member?

Western Digital used to be superior quality products, but has become a scam company under CEO David Goeckeler. 2 new WD Black HDDs from the WD Store had I/O Device Errors from the beginning. One sounded different after 60 days, with a Current Pending Sector Count of 8, an Uncorrectable Sector Count of 1, and Error Code 7 the next day. The WD Black totally crumbled after 5 weeks, before it could finish erasing once. The physical device WD6003FZBX-00K5WB0 (not just the filesystem) could not be recognized without being connected before starting Linux, but prevents booting beyond POST. It was connected while displaying the F12 boot menu (after POST and before Linux), and everything had Input/Output Errors except HDDSuperClone, which has been erasing the HDD at 1530 KB/s for 4 weeks. None of our other disks have ever fallen apart to that extent in under 10 years. Customer reviews strongly reflect the increase of I/O Device Errors with Western Digital products. Seagate has much better reviews nowadays and is no longer inferior.

The WD Support website blocks an RMA as "OUT OF REGION", despite being purchased from the official Western Digital Store and never crossing borders. "OUT OF REGION" means the product was originally sold in a different country. Western Digital used to provide Advanced RMAs for free, before requiring expensive deposits and a permanent $25 charge, which is never refunded even after returning the original. The $25 cannot be refunded even when an Advanced RMA is refused outside the customer's control. Western Digital has customers submit the $25 before knowing invasive identity verification is required to continue, with no option to cancel and refund the $25 by the time the customer gets to know. Seagate now only requires an inexpensive deposit for advanced replacements, which is entirely refunded after returning the original.

Western Digital uses Styrofoam instead of polyethylene foam because it's slightly cheaper. Styrofoam cushions much more poorly than polyethylene foam, and should never be used for an expensive HDD. Styrofoam is also toxic and nearly impossible to recycle. Polyethylene foam is not much to ask for, as it's also inexpensive plastic. The quality of the Styrofoam accurately represented the product. Western Digital previously used polyethylene foam before becoming a scam company. Seagate has done the opposite and mostly transitioned away from plastic cushioning.

In August 2021, a bait & switch scam was uncovered with the SN550 Blue SSD, not long after the Red SMR scandal. Western Digital neglects severe vulnerabilities in My Cloud OS 3, and says to buy a new WD My Cloud if your existing product cannot be upgraded to OS 5. Instead of providing updates, Western Digital will leave customers vulnerable until later in 2022, when networking functionality will be crippled, with a ransom to purchase a new device with OS 5. Western Digital claims to have determined it necessary to end support for OS 3, even though it is not fundamentally flawed, and the problem is the very lack of support itself. I have accurately recommended Western Digital hundreds of times over the years, and do not regret that, but the new CEO David Goeckeler has trashed the company. It has become increasingly clear that the latest Seagate products are superior to Western Digital, after both companies have new CEOs.

Western Digital used to be superior quality products, but has become a scam company under CEO David Goeckeler. 2 new WD Black HDDs from the WD Store had I/O Device Errors from the beginning. One sounded different after 60 days, with a Current Pending Sector Count of 8, an Uncorrectable Sector Count of 1, and Error Code 7 the next day. The WD Black totally crumbled after 5 weeks, before it could finish erasing once. The physical device WD6003FZBX-00K5WB0 (not just the filesystem) could not be recognized without being connected before starting Linux, but prevents booting beyond POST. It was connected while displaying the F12 boot menu (after POST and before Linux), and everything had Input/Output Errors except HDDSuperClone, which has been erasing the HDD at 1530 KB/s for 4 weeks. None of our other disks have ever fallen apart to that extent in under 10 years. Customer reviews strongly reflect the increase of I/O Device Errors with Western Digital products. Seagate has much better reviews nowadays and is no longer inferior.

The WD Support website blocks an RMA as "OUT OF REGION", despite being purchased from the official Western Digital Store and never crossing borders. "OUT OF REGION" means the product was originally sold in a different country. Western Digital used to provide Advanced RMAs for free, before requiring expensive deposits and a permanent $25 charge, which is never refunded even after returning the original. The $25 cannot be refunded even when an Advanced RMA is refused outside the customer's control. Western Digital has customers submit the $25 before knowing invasive identity verification is required to continue, with no option to cancel and refund the $25 by the time the customer gets to know. Seagate now only requires an inexpensive deposit for advanced replacements, which is entirely refunded after returning the original.

Western Digital uses Styrofoam instead of polyethylene foam because it's slightly cheaper. Styrofoam cushions much more poorly than polyethylene foam, and should never be used for an expensive HDD. Styrofoam is also toxic and nearly impossible to recycle. Polyethylene foam is not much to ask for, as it's also inexpensive plastic. The quality of the Styrofoam accurately represented the product. Western Digital previously used polyethylene foam before becoming a scam company. Seagate has done the opposite and mostly transitioned away from plastic cushioning.

In August 2021, a bait & switch scam was uncovered with the SN550 Blue SSD, not long after the Red SMR scandal. Western Digital neglects severe vulnerabilities in My Cloud OS 3, and says to buy a new WD My Cloud if your existing product cannot be upgraded to OS 5. Instead of providing updates, Western Digital will leave customers vulnerable until later in 2022, when networking functionality will be crippled, with a ransom to purchase a new device with OS 5. Western Digital claims to have determined it necessary to end support for OS 3, even though it is not fundamentally flawed, and the problem is the very lack of support itself. I have accurately recommended Western Digital hundreds of times over the years, and do not regret that, but the new CEO David Goeckeler has trashed the company. It has become increasingly clear that the latest Seagate products are superior to Western Digital, after both companies have new CEOs.
Yes, unfortunately, the level of quality and trust in VD has decreased significantly.

Back