Windows 7 Hardware Problem

Jmaster

Hi,

I have a media center PC in my living Room. On waking up this morning I discovered that the PC had completely locked up. When I reboot I just get the message, there has been a hardware failure. I select the option to boot with the last known good config, the PC goes away does some work and then returns to the same screen. If I select Boot Normally it just boots to a black screen and goes no further.

In inserted the install CD and after it has gone through the load files sequence I get a message asking me to insert the install CD and select repair (eh! ::)). I appear to be in this hardware failure boot loop and can not get out of it.

Any ideas what hardware could cause such a complete failure. I was thinking MB but if the PC is booting (to a degree) so I would tend to think the MB is OK.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I have a WHS backup of the machine so if I have to blow everything away I can without to much of a problem.

I can't get to F8 Safe Mode, it takes me straight to the screen that gives me two options

1) Boot Normally (gives me blank screen)
2) Fix boot issues and return to last good state (returns me to this screen)

Not sure yet that is what has happened, but I do not have a solution for the update problem. The folks that did recover from such a problem used the retore to previous option.

Maybe someone else know of a solution, IF this is what happened.

You should be able to repair it using the DVD or CD, but if F8 doesn't help, try tapping the space bar during boot. Maybe it will get you to a Advanced boot options menu.

If it really is a hardware problem, how much memory do you have installed and can you remove some?

Last edited:
Not sure yet that is what has happened, but I do not have a solution for the update problem. The folks that did recover from such a problem used the retore to previous option.

Maybe someone else know of a solution, IF this is what happened.

You should be able to repair it using the DVD or CD, but if F8 doesn't help, try tapping the space bar during boot. Maybe it will get you to a Advanced boot options menu.

If it really is a hardware problem, how much memory do you have installed and can you remove some?

It is worth noting I was in the same situation a few weeks back, loaded the DVD and recovered OK. This error is persistent and I'm struggling to work out what to do next. When I get home I'll take a look at my memory and see how many sticks I have installed

Insert the install CD and then reboot go into setup (F2 or F10 depending on BIOS watch the boot screen for correct key) and select boot from CD (first boot device) go through the menus untill the install screen. But, goto recovery console and the ASR should start automatically or you may have to press F2 to go through the Automated System Recovery (ASR). This will roll back any update problems. Chances are you next boot will work properly. Good Luck!

Insert the install CD and then reboot go into setup (F2 or F10 depending on BIOS watch the boot screen for correct key) and select boot from CD (first boot device) go through the menus untill the install screen. But, goto recovery console and the ASR should start automatically or you may have to press F2 to go through the Automated System Recovery (ASR). This will roll back any update problems. Chances are you next boot will work properly. Good Luck!

I tried doing this earlier, in fact the first time I got the error a couple of weeks ago this is exactly what I did and Windows recovered. This time however, after going through the "loading Files" sequence, it displays a DOS screen explaining that I have to insert the install CD, boot and then recover (basically telling me what I have just tried to do) problem is it will not get far enough for me to select recover.

Just in case, if this problem is related to the Windows Update, I would turn automatic updating off. Then just allow one or two at a time to see if problem returns. I never allow a hardware or optional update without checking it first.

If the problem is recurring, it might be something corrupting your system, like memory, or bad drive, or even heat. If you can get into your system, unplug it and maybe re-seat the video if it is an add in card while you are dealing with the memory. I assume you are not overclocking...

Just in case, if this problem is related to the Windows Update, I would turn automatic updating off. Then just allow one or two at a time to see if problem returns. I never allow a hardware or optional update without checking it first.

If the problem is recurring, it might be something corrupting your system, like memory, or bad drive, or even heat. If you can get into your system, unplug it and maybe re-seat the video if it is an add in card while you are dealing with the memory. I assume you are not overclocking...

I will do exactly that once I get back into Windows, right now I'm stuck in the DOS hardware fault loop :(

Just for reference to anybody else who has this problem. For the time being I appear to of resolved the issue by swapping the memory. As soon as I did this, the system came back to life. I'm not yet convinced it is fixed but I will post to this thread again if the error reoccurs.

Back