Harold Camping A Man With No Shame

whoosh

Cooler King
Staff member
Premium Supporter
I wrote an article about Harold Camping being a false prophet in 1994 that was in response to his book, “1994?” that he had been hawking on Family Radio or as it is officially known, Family Stations, Inc., since 1992. Here is an excerpt of what I wrote:

“I have been a daily listener to Family Radio since 1969 and Camping’s heresy has gotten so bad that he has lost control of himself. Some of the wonderful staff either quit the network or were fired, as he streamlined the organization to be a group of rubberstamping ‘yes-men,’ who would admire and accept everything Harold would come up with. In 1992, the religious spirits from Satan completely took him over as he wrote a book titled, ‘1994,’ in which he predicted that Jesus’ second coming was to take place between September 15th and 27th in the year 1994. Camping pushed his book frequently on the radio, teaching from it on his program, “Open Forum” and other Bible teaching sessions. When September 1994 rolled around and Jesus did not return, Harold worked like a showman who is caught and said that he had not understood the message from God, but predicted a new date which was good. The date was afterward changed eight times until he settled for the year 2008. Look at the following dates:

1. September 6, 1994? (Subsequently extended a few days, given the slight variations in the ancient calendars).

2. September 15, 1994, the Jewish Day of Atonement?

3. September 25, 1994, the Jewish Feast of Tabernacles?

4. October 4, 1994, the actual birthday of Jesus as calculated by Camping?

5. December 25, 1994, our traditional celebration of Christmas and Christ’s incarnation and birth, based on the statement in Revelation 11:10 that the enemies of God’s people would ‘send gifts one to another?’

6. February 25, 1995, the Jewish feast of Purim?

7. May 3, 1996, when he was so sure of this date that he devoted several Open Forum programs to explain how the ‘four watches’ (alluded to in Mark 13:35) extended the date until September 6, 1994.

8. His current teaching, that September 6, 1994 was the right date after all, but it was for the beginning of the Great Tribulation, not Judgment Day. Simple arithmetic would put the return of the Lord no later than 2008.”

Very few people listening to Family Radio in 2010 remember all the fancy footwork that Harold did in 1994. He changed the dates of the return of Jesus eight times and then finally settled on the year 2008 is not something Harold Camping wants to remember or anybody else for that matter. The year 2008 came and went, and true to his arrogance, it didn’t bother Camping at all that he was wrong again. Once a person has become a liar, it is easy to lie again, and so he set the new date of Jesus’ return to May 21, 2011.

In his 543 page book, Camping outlined in great detail that Jesus was going to return to the earth and this would be the end of history. Here is an excerpt from his conclusion:

“The material set forth in this book has been researched with great care. Care was constantly exercised to make sure that no Biblical data was forced or fudged to make it fit into a preconceived idea. Every attempt was made to be faithful to the Bible. The results of this study indicate that the month of September of the year 1994 is to be the end of history.”[1]

Harold Camping is not a man that worries about being a liar and shame is not a word in his vocabulary. Even though the Bible refutes him in three places, setting a date for the coming of Jesus does not bother him. Look at these Bible verses:

“Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.” Matthew 24:29-36

“And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven. Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near: So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.” Mark 13:26-32

“When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.” Acts 1:6-7

In the same book, Harold writes:

“We must be cautious. There could be something that has been overlooked. In view of the many paths that I have found that focus on 1994, it seems extremely unlikely that we have overlooked something. However I modestly and humbly acknowledge that such a possibility exists.”[2]

And then he writes the following:

“At the beginning of this study I said that during the last twenty years I have answered the question concerning the end of the world with the statement. ‘I will be very surprised if we reach the year 2000 A.D.’ After having done this study I now say equally carefully, ‘I will be surprised if we reach October 1, 1994.’

“The conclusion that we are only months away from the end of the world and Judgment Day is, of course, super awesome. Suddenly more than five billion people individually must face the fact that very soon they will stand before God to give an account of their lives. Wonderfully, those who believe they are saved have a little time to examine themselves in the light of the Bible teachings to make sure that they truly are saved. If there were ever a time for self-examination, it is now.

“Anyone who decides that he does not believe the fact that the end is so close can do so, but he will be like the proverbial ostrich that sticks his head in the sand. His unbelief will not in any way change the reality of the fact of Christ’s return.

“By God’s mercy there are a few months left. However, if this study is accurate, and I believe with all my heart that it is, there will be no extensions in time. There will be no time for second guessing. When September 6, 1994, arrives, no one else can become saved. The end has come.”[3]

Harold Camping: A Man With No Shame :razz:

Back