Windows Vista Have product key -- no CD?

helpingmom

Help. My daughter had a friend uninstall Vista and install Windows XP. NOW -- she wants Vista back and all we have is the product key, which is physically on the bottom of the computer (HP, purchased at Staples). No Installation CD came with the computer and Vista is totally wiped off of her system.

Any advice on obtaining a CD or reinstalling without one? Go to Staples and they may be able to help?

Thanks for any info.

Many computer manufacturers don't provide the DVD/CD and instead put the Windows Vista installation on an emergency restore partition on the hard drive. You may still be able to recover and re-install Windows Vista.

Since you haven't listed what type of computer you have contact Technical Support for the company that made your computer.

You were supposed to make recovery disks while Vista was still installed. At this point you need to go back to the store. Good luck.

Many computer manufacturers don't provide the DVD/CD and instead put the Windows Vista installation on an emergency restore partition on the hard drive. You may still be able to recover and re-install Windows Vista.

Since you haven't listed what type of computer you have contact Technical Support for the company that made your computer.

What he said. There should be a partition on your drive (if it didn't get deleted) if it is a HP if I remember right you hold down F10 during boot up and follow the instructions. You can also check rapidshare for an ISO and download it make sure that it is an OEM copy NOT retail or your product key will not work, Been there.

FATBOY

i have the same problem. mine doesn't have a back up copy. is there a way that so i can obtain the cd?

Is it under warranty? If so put a real strong magnet on the drive, and try to boot, you should hear a funny noise, put the drive back in PC and call HP or whoever and tell 'em it quit. No kiddin' a guy work did this and HP replaced the drive under warranty.

i have the same problem. mine doesn't have a back up copy. is there a way that so i can obtain the cd?
Sometimes the supplier of the laptop will include a CD and then other times you have to actually ask for it. If you check your start up menu there 'may' be a shortcut for making 'Rescue disks' but not always.

Back
Top Bottom