Windows 7 Having basic installation issues!

originaluip

Greetings! Let me start off by admitting that I am about as technologically savvy as a cat, so my problem may be extremely basic. Here's the deal:

I am currently running Vista 32 bit. I purchased Windows 7 from the college discount deal that is going on. When you purchase Windows 7 electronically, it offers you either 32 bit or 64. My PC meets every requirement for 64 bit, and so I figured I might as well choose that one, right? I download the 64 bit client and it was placed on my desktop in a folder called "expandedSetup". When I open the folder and click "Setup" it says this:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32 bit) or x64 (64 bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

So, I did some looking around and discovered that in order to move from x86 to x64 I have to do something called a "clean" install. Microsoft says in order to do this I should follow this guide:

Installing and reinstalling Windows

The first step says to open up the installation file I downloaded, and to click "Custom Install" in order to make the switch from 32-bit vista to 64-bit Windows 7. However, as I previously stated, when I try to open the file it tells me the version is incompatible. How am I supposed to click custom install to switch versions if I can't even open the file because they are not the same version? It makes no sense and I am obviously missing something.

Could somebody please help me out here?

Are you booting from the install disk?

Sounds like you may be trying to install after booting into windows normally.

As tblount mentioned, in order to go to x64 you have to use a boot DVD. There are some tutorials on how to do that which means making an image file (.iso) from your downloaded expanded files and then buring it to a bootable DVD or large flashdrive. There are also many threads discussing this.

There has been some talk about some sellers now offering a .iso download directly, so you might check where you got yours.

Is there a site where I can download the 64-bit .iso file for Windows 7? I have the product key already. The student discount site wants you to email them for the iso links. I already sent them an email a couple days ago with no reply as of yet and am beginning to lose my patience.

My last blog list at least a dozen links for various versions and languages for the iso's direct from microsoft .... but youu UPGRADE key won't install the full version UNLESS you delete ei.cfg from the ISO before you burn it.. then you MUST select the same version.... as your key..

like home preminum

If it doesn't accept your key.. go ahead and install... you'll have 30 days to try other work arounds.

Back