Windows 7 Hello people

jmackey5

I cannot access my cd rom drive. I look in the drive section under computers and I see the C drive and the D recovery drive but no cd rom drive. I go to device manager and don't see anything relating to a cd rom drive. I have an HP Pavillion Notebook DV 9810 US and the cd rom drive itself is Lightscribe. I have tried to go into the registry through cmd, regedit and control etc but found no upper filter nor lower filter to delete. Instead when I click on the last folder,4d36e965 I see 0000 and properties. In the upper right I see default, class, class desc, enum prop pages, icon path, installer 32, no install class, silent install any ideas would be appreciated.

Hi

I guess that first thing I would try is open the computer and make sure the connections are tight.
If you have access to another CD drive I'd try another one.

If it's plugged in and working Windows should see it.

Does the light on the drive flash when the computer boots up?

Mike

Another thing to try is make sure in the folder options, view tab, that you are showing hidden drives. It looks like this will show or hide an empty DVD drive in the listings, but it will still show in Computer.

Then, go to the Computer dialog windows and if it is not listed, try opening the drive to see if it shows up. It might work better if it has media in it, but there have been cases where the drive firmware needed to be updated, depending on how old your system is..

Another thing to try is make sure in the folder options, view tab, that you are showing hidden drives. It looks like this will show or hide an empty DVD drive in the listings, but it will still show in Computer.

Then, go to the Computer dialog windows and if it is not listed, try opening the drive to see if it shows up. It might work better if it has media in it, but there have been cases where the drive firmware needed to be updated, depending on how old your system is..

Ok sounds good, but where do I go for folder options?

The light does go on, but after about 10 seconds or so it goes off.

That's what it should do, and probably indicates that Windows is detecting it.

But you are saying that there is no category for CD DVD drives in Device Manage?
Even if the drives are hidden they should show up in Device Manager.

I assume that you are putting a disk in and not seeing anything in Windows Explorer, or having the disk open automatically asking what you want to do with it?

Take a look at this and see if there is any help...

Fix Hard Drive Or DVD Not Showing Up In Windows 7

Or look at this...

Windows 7

To resolve this problem on a computer that is running Windows 7, use the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter. For more information about how to open this troubleshooter in Windows 7, visit the following

Microsoft Web site:
Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

Mike

That's what it should do, and probably indicates that Windows is detecting it.

But you are saying that there is no category for CD DVD drives in Device Manage?
Even if the drives are hidden they should show up in Device Manager.

I assume that you are putting a disk in and not seeing anything in Windows Explorer, or having the disk open automatically asking what you want to do with it?

Take a look at this and see if there is any help...

Fix Hard Drive Or DVD Not Showing Up In Windows 7

Or look at this...

Windows 7

To resolve this problem on a computer that is running Windows 7, use the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter. For more information about how to open this troubleshooter in Windows 7, visit the following

Microsoft Web site:
Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

Mike

Neither worked I do not see the cd rom drive in device manager. I tried this but there were no upper or lower filters. .

Press Windows R, type [COLOR=#0072BC !important][COLOR=#0072BC !important]regedit[/COLOR][/COLOR] and press enter.2. Open the Registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
7. Exit [COLOR=#0072BC !important][COLOR=#0072BC !important]Registry [COLOR=#0072BC !important]Editor[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], and then restart the computer.

When I got to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} I saw the 0000 and properties folders, and default, class, class desc, enum prop pages, icon path, installer 32, no install class, silent install in the upper right corner. Also in the registry I did find under default in the data section it said cdrom drives and where it says class it says cdrom under the data section. Under noinstallclass and silent install there is a value of 1 under data. I did go into disk management and saw a blank disk drive which was 55 MB but not labeled. I assume this may be the cd rom drive.

Back