Windows 7 HELP! I have tried a zillion things, laptop won't find desktop printer

lckw

I have a new laptop and it connected to home network and can browse internet with no issue. What I can't do is print from that laptop to the printer that is connected to the desktop.
1) In "network and sharing center" I can see the desktop "MOM-PC" but when I click on it I get the note "Windows cannot access \\MOM-PC......check the spelling, problem with network, yada, yada.
2)When I go to "homegroup settings" on laptop it says Homegroup found a new shared printer but when I click on blue "Install printer" button nothing happens
3) All things are set to SHARE on both MOM-PC and MOM-Lap, and both are set to "allow Windows to manage homegroup connections
4) I turned off anti-virus on both computers before attempting to connect to printer
5) I have run the troubleshooting function on both computers and nothing changed
6) Desktop is connected directly to router, desktop is connected to router wi-fi

I would so appreciate some help, I have searched online and still nothing seems to fit or fix.

UPDATE: I FOUND THE FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went to start button of the laptop and typed in \\ipaddress of desktop that got me to where it showed the printer and I could click on it to install the drivers. Once that was done I went into Printers on the laptop and the printer was there to pick and I could set it to default. I WORKS! Yippee!

Last edited:
Yes, you always have to search computers with IP. Its fast for the simple reason you are telling computer in its language and not human language. Good job !!

Back
Top Bottom