Help! Info request - Need Comnponent Services MyComputer/Properties defaults for Com Security Tab

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by dnorcott, Nov 30, 2012.

  1. dnorcott

    dnorcott Well-Known Member

    Nov 29, 2012
    Likes Received:
    I experiencing Event id 10016 for several different scenarios and having problems isolating the cause due to Running Windows 7 Home Premium. I use this Laptop only while traveling and am about to leave on a trip. I would like to determine the settings I should see for the following before I dig myself a deeper hole by troubleshooting with limited tools available.

    At this point I am not sure these events showing up are actually causing a problem but they are making me nervous about having the laptop fail while away from home . If I can not resolve by setting defaults, unless it fails, I will do a re-install of W7 after I return from the trip. A complete explanation of the problem is below after the request for information.

    Can anyone tell me what Groups should appear in Component Services for Computer/MyComputer/Properties/Com Security Tab for a new install. I need groups listed and their checked permissions for both panes (Access & Launch/Activation) and both buttons (Limits & Defaults) or point me to documentation that lists (rather than explains) the defaults.

    Also require a list of the users that would normally be members of the "Distributed COM Users" localgroup. I had none.

    The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {xxxxx} and APPID {xxxxx} to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using RPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services
    administrative tool.

    After not using the laptop for several months I attempted to apply all the outstanding windows updates and install the Netbeans IDE. When I attempted to add a plugin for NetBeans the application would no longer start (appeared to run but the IDE never displayed and no error). Also had some permission problems (access) with window updates that would later resolve next time they where applied.

    I removed NetBeans and several other apps no longer used then used a system restore point roll back to two months earlier and re-installed all windows updates. I then created a system image which ran overnight and appeared to be work correctly. Windows also applied an update after this which required a reboot and a message indicating a problem with the backup not being able to run was displayed. It was at this point I received my first 10016 which was the wpengine (Microsoft Block Level Backup ) application with my administrator being the reported user.

    I attempted to troubleshoot permission problems and found that I could not attempt many of the suggestions found due on the web due to running the W7 Home Premium edition. I have experimented with Component Services permissions (also added my administrator account to the Distributed COM Users group) and added my admin user to Component Services Computer/MyComputer/Properitesy/Com Security Tab defaults. This appeared to resolve the wbengine problem or have not yet hit circumstance to cause it,

    After this I saw 10016 events with NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) being the user in each case but with more than one application. Mostly “LocalService IPBusEnum”, and each of these was paired with a separate “Event ID 2” and message “Session "Homegroup Log" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035”. I believe I also saw Advance Device Presence(?) as the application. I only changed permissions in Component Services in an attempt to resolve and did not attempt troubleshooting logically
  2. Saltgrass

    Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

    Oct 16, 2009
    Likes Received:
    You did not include the GUID numbers for your error messages, but if you copy the entire error message you can find references on the net.

    In my case, the 10016 error was caused by the IPBus Enumerator, which was tied to the Wireless Printer. I was able to remove the error messages by making some changes in Component Services, but not the ones mentioned in some posts. I may have done it incorrectly, but I ended up having to change some permissions in the Registry to gain access to make the changes.

    The attachments below are not a new install, but one repaired and no longer getting the error messages. As far as I know, these errors were not causing any other problems. But I was only running a printer, and not using Homegroups.

    Attached Files:

    #2 Saltgrass, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

Share This Page