Help Keep The Site Going Strong

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Today is a new day. WindowsForum.com still desperately needs your support. If you find yourself using the service often, we urge you to take into consideration the possibility of upgrading your account to Premium Supporter status. The goal of maintaining an information repository has lasted. And it continues. But as new technology has developed, allowing us to bring you new features, faster browsing, and newer graphics, so has the need for more financing.

Today, that contribution would help finance the following:
  • Worldwide Access to the Website
  • Keeping the Server Online
  • Latest Service Infrastructure
  • New Forum Features
  • New Forum Appearance
  • Windows 8 Forums
  • New User Tools and Options
The goal of this program will always be to keep the website going. We need your help.:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Here is some of the cool stuff we are able to provide Premium Supporters:
  • 100% Top Priority Support On The Forums.
  • No advertisements on the website. (By default all members can now turn off advertising in their options)
  • One 1-Hour Free Remote Support Request.
  • Legitimate downloads, support files, online backup and recovery, and performance software!
  • Access to the Premium Supporter Forums.
  • Additional custom avatars, storage space, larger image sizes, and more mailbox storage.
  • Your username presented in gold.
  • Additional forum permissions and first choice for community events. Community Leader.

I would like to thank all of our members for their sincere gratitude and assistance over the years. It has been my goal, and the goal of many others, that you enjoy and use the site as much as possible. Please consider helping the site to continue its mission financially.

If you are not interested in the Premium Supporter program, you are always free to make a donation to the website. Thank you very kindly.

Please note: As of September 6, 2012, we are no longer offering a recurring subscription service. We are, however, making all subscription payments, large and small, grant unlimited gold membership to our subscribers. Thus, we have overhauled our subscription payment system at Link Removed due to 404 Error[/URL] for current and future members. Any questions, please use this thread.

Last edited:
Well, valued contributors does not need a lot of imagination to work out. More than 1000 posts?

Well, unfortunately (for me only), I think it has made up my mind. I have been pondering how long I could last here. With a poster such as Whoosh" classified as a "Valued contributor, Whilst others with real value, with a true meaning to the word,in their posts, such as Iroken and Loath, are relegated to the ranks of the unpriviliged, I do not feel I can continue. I cannot see a link, speaking semantically, between the number of posts and "Valued "contributor. Unless the sites only aim is to boost the posts.

Last edited:
very well put Dave . When i check the forum it has more then 50% of the post are just BULL SH*T (and yes i know it is in the WATER COOLER ) but that is not what we come here for

Last edited:
very well put Dave . When i check the forum it has more then 50% of the post are just BULL SH*T (and yes i know it is in the WATER COOLER ) but that is not what we come here for

Ditto for me, I don't come here to read jokes and sometimes the first page load is all crap. I don't post much, but I do enjoy reading informative postings and learning things.....jokes I don't need from a "Windows 7" forum.

You're right guys. It does seem like "Valued Contributor" should be awarded for the amount of help users actually provide for others rather than the number of posts. Maybe those of us who are really offended by this need to get in touch with the administrators via personal message and vent their displeasure.

But I keep noticing that there are not many new problems being posted. I'm thinking that's because W7 does work so well. Or maybe it's because of the server problems we have been experiencing lately. I don't know which. But I also notice that there are a lot of people who just seem to like hanging out in forums. I fall in that category. Since there is not a lot of action on the problem solving front the jokes and stuff give people something to do. Maybe the amount of traffic in the problem solving sections of this forum will pick back up since the server is improved.

It bothers me to see you guys thinking about leaving. I think there are a lot of people who would like to see you stay.

Well. That is a gratifying response. Totally unexpected.

Fwiw. The statistics do not stand up to honest scrutiny. Just as one, easy to assess, example (there are so many) there is, in the worst case, a member with only five posts, all in the same thread, who'se merit points have almost gone out of sight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoosh is the prime example: he isn't just on here posting jokes and odd articles about his chosen handle he posts his best ideas to help people wherever he feels he can be productive, if you look back to a time when there were more new posts in the support section you will find lots more Whoosh being helpful fact is there is not a whole lot of help being rquested these days and what there is is usually jumped on immediately. Several posters here fall into this category,Cybercore and Stueycaster first and foremost if we can find this balance surely there is room for us all on this site regardless of ou ranking and how we got it, I don't think anyone on here is trying to take away from anyone elses enjoyment of this site and now that rep is back up people can focus on that as a measure of how important or appreciated you are since that is given out by users not aoutomatically by number of posts. Every member we lose takes away from a site like this regardless of how widely liked they are. Take the long absent Iroken22 i know for a fact that he could be quite abrasive and many people didn't like his thoughts a whole lot but now that they are not here there is a definite point of view missing. This isn't exclusively a help forum though that is what maintains it's popularity it is like all forums a community and no one likes all aspects of their community but anyone a little enlightened should be able to step back and see that every member has their importance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well said textureDnB buddy.

Update: Check it out. You just became a Senior Member. Good job.

Last edited:
(Quote from textureDnB) - there is not a whole lot of help being rquested these days and what there is is usually jumped on immediately. Several posters here fall into this category,Cybercore and Stueycaster first and foremost - (end of quote).

I hope people don't think I have a lot of computer knowledge to share. I just try to help with the few things that I do actually know something about. I constantly run upon threads where they want to know something that I have no clue about.

Computers are just a hobby for me. I'm a Lumberman by trade and my passion is making music.

Last edited:
I'm just learning too from the standpoint of solving problems for others not just myself, but every two cents counts as long as we let people know to gather as many opinions as possible before they proceed often times just throwing my thoughts in on a problem brings other more powerful opinions to the table like Swi2 and Reghackr among countless others.It takes all kinds Stueybuddy.

Whoosh is the prime example: he isn't just on here posting jokes and odd articles about his chosen handle he posts his best ideas to help people wherever he feels he can be productive, if you look back to a time when there were more new posts in the support section you will find lots more Whoosh being helpful fact is there is not a whole lot of help being rquested these days and what there is is usually jumped on immediately. Several posters here fall into this category,Cybercore and Stueycaster first and foremost if we can find this balance surely there is room for us all on this site regardless of ou ranking and how we got it, I don't think anyone on here is trying to take away from anyone elses enjoyment of this site and now that rep is back up people can focus on that as a measure of how important or appreciated you are since that is given out by users not aoutomatically by number of posts. Every member we lose takes away from a site like this regardless of how widely liked they are. Take the long absent Iroken22 i know for a fact that he could be quite abrasive and many people didn't like his thoughts a whole lot but now that they are not here there is a definite point of view missing. This isn't exclusively a help forum though that is what maintains it's popularity it is like all forums a community and no one likes all aspects of their community but anyone a little enlightened should be able to step back and see that every member has their importance.

Well. I did my homework and looked back. By helpful you are speaking in a broad sense? and not with computer technology? I could only find three actual contributions to "help" out of 1813.

You have stuey,s answer

Anyway, this all began with raising some issues, which have apparently turned against me. Whoosh is very obviously held in very high regard so I,ll leave you all to it. I have really enjoyed being on the site but I can see I am out of touch.

The requirements for "Valued Contributor" have been lowered. I am sorry about your displeasure. The reputation system can be used if someone posts a lot of uselessness.

I have seen the help being given by other members of this fine community :)
There are many helpers .
I decided that I would as an helper be superfluous to needs . I then muted the idea of dedicating myself to the Water Cooler . This met with general approval so that is what I have done .
Stuck thick and thin with the Water Cooler being off topic as you like ;)

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Holidays are so yesterday :D

There is no need for people like davehc to leave the forum . The Water Cooler as I have said and read so many times b4 states . Anything Off Topic .
Should be perfectly clear to anyone looking what the Water Cooler is for .
So what in the wider Windows 7 forum would be considered rubbish is not so in the Water Cooler .

In the Water Cooler there are no off topic topics
So that means computer guru`s may not understand due to limited mind set ;)
Does not mean other folk do not get pleasure from off topic topics .

Last edited:
Whoosh i believe you are taking this in the wrong direction. This is a computer forum. That means the topics all pertain to computers. Anything off topic means anything related to computing that is off topic of Windows 7 or the other forum topics. This doesnt not mean general meaningless chat about child abuse or stuff like that. That was the purpose of the forum and should be taken as so.

I can understand that . It should have been made clear that the Water Cooler was for anything off topic but about computers :rolleyes:
With that proviso in place my posts would have then taken a different path .
So now due to the fact the Water Cooler is for anything off topic but only about computers I will cease my posts :D

Hooray! Yeha ! Etc :cool:

I will now expect to see the Water Cooler posts only relating to computer scenarios .

Last edited:
First of all, thanks to Mike for your work in addressing the server issues that were plaguing this site.
Second, I look at this from a different perspective. I see now that the hat is being passed, people are using Whoosh as an excuse to depart. Thats actually kind of sad. There is no criteria or requirements to belong here, so we all bring the experiences we have. Just because I have a degree in IT doesn't make Whoosh's experiences less valid than mine. I've seen him come into posts and learn from what others are doing. That enables him to then lend his new found knowledge to others. If theres concern over the watercooler size, then purge after fewer days. But to use Whoosh and his points as an excuse.....that's wrong. I feel sorry for Mike in a way...all of this whining,............ man up!
You'll have my contribution when I get home.

Back