Windows 7 Help Me! DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

rmoe

Hey everyone, this is my first post :) I have downloaded the windows 7 RC, 32 and 64 bit editions, from microsoft and was really exited to try it out. The computer i wanted to test it on is fully backed up and is made up of the following: abit IB9 motherboard, intel e6320, gts 250, seagate 500gb hdd, sony dvd drive, windows xp. Windows XP is still on the hdd, but if i got windows 7 to install i was planning on formatting the whole hdd clean.

When i boot from ANY iso disk i create, 32 or 64 bit, windows 7 goes through the usual "loading files" part fine. When it gets to the welcome screen (right before i should get to partition the hdd), before i get a chance to do anything, it will get a BSOD with the following error message "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL."

I have reset my BIOS already, i have gone in and disabled all unnecessary devices like sound and usb in the BIOS, but it still does the same thing. Can anyone give me some advise on how to get past the install BSOD? Please help :)

Hello and welcome,

It's obviously a driver issue.

However when you burnt the ISO, did you do so at it's slowest speed (1x)? that could be a factor.

Have you unplugged everything connected to your computer>?

Check here for hardware compatibility:
Windows Vista Compatibility Center

If you get this straightened out, you need to do a "clean" install (wiping your XP installation)

Thanks for the reply reghakr! When you said "It's obviously a driver issue." i went through in my mind what hardware was left that i have not disconected/tested and i though to google my motherboard for issues with that. From the sounds of it this is the problem. Windows 7 RC Install Blue Screen This forum has multiple people with ib9's having the same problem as me. A ways down someone posted to disable EIST in the BIOS, it seemed to fix everyone elses install BSOD. Im going to give it a try here soon.

After looking up what EIST is, it looks like its a power savings component of some intel cpu's that lowers clock and voltage when the cpu is not in use. Wikipedia says it is software controlled though. Does anyone know if this is only used in laptops, or do desktops use this funcion as well? Do you guys think my desktop uses it?

Back