Windows 7 Help Please! This is driving me crazy...

GhopR

I'm wanting to "pin" an Icon of my USB flash drive to my taskbar in Win7. I click on computer>Kingston(I: ) >create shortcut. When the shortcut appears on my desktop it's an icon of a removable drive (which is what I want), but when I try to "pin" it on my taskbar it changes to an icon of a file(it looks like the icon used for "Libraries" in Win7).
Nothing I've tried will keep it from changing to the file icon.
When I had WinXP I was able to send the drive icon to my desktop, then just drag and click "move here" and the drive icon would be on my taskbar.
Anyone out there knows why it keeps changing in Win7?
I appreciate any help.
GhopR:(

Hi and Welcome.

After you've pinned the icon, re-log to the system. You can also right click the icon > properties > shortcut tab > change icon > browse to "C:\Windows\System32\ imageres.dll" or other file to set a custom icon.

Anyone out there knows why it keeps changing in Win7?

It probably has something to do with the explorer cache.

Nibiru,
Thank you. This did allow me to pin an icon of my flash drive onto my task bar. The only strange thing is that the new icon is to the immediate left of the "Show hidden icons" arrow. If I try to move the icon over to the left side of the task bar it changes back to an Explorer folder. Pretty weird! Still, I please with just having the icon on my task bar. Thanks again!
GhopR:)

Back
Top Bottom