Windows 7 HELP! Problem: Windows CPU Meter Gadget Lags, Advanced System Care Stopped Working

Yhel Gonzalo

I'm on Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit.

I think it was safe to assume that I was recently infected with a trojan virus. But was either quarantined or deleted by my anti-virus.

i use the CPU Meter Gadget to keep track of my CPU and RAM usage. It is working but it is lagging. Like the arrow is jumping like from 13% in CPU usage, it would suddenly be at 70% with no smooth acceleration. I also uninstalled, deleted and reinstalled but to no avail. Link Removed due to 404 Error Link Removed due to 404 Error

out of windows, I use a software called Advanced System Care v4. I am also having a problem regarding this one.

The first thing that i noticed is that every time I do a Deep Care, everything works well until it goes to scan for the "Junk File Clean" of ASC v4. A pop up window would say that ASC v4 stopped working and would try to and fix the problem until it finally ask you to close the program. I tried several times to run ASC and still the same thing occurs. I tried unchecking "Junk Files Clean" it worked smoothly. I tried to check only "Junk Files Clean" and A pop up window would say that ASC stopped working again and close the program.

Another thing is that the ASC v4 Icon went missing both in desktop and start menu. i tried to look for the icon via right click on the icon and the icon was there to be selected but it is not displayed whenever i apply it. I unistalled and re-installed my ASC v4 but still no icon. I then rebuilt my iconcache.db so it's okay now.

However, my dilemma with the "Junk File Clean" is still the same - it won't work. Link Removed due to 404 Error
ASC v4 still stops working when scan starts with this one. I don't why. Link Removed due to 404 Error

I am not aware if there are still other problems but this two are currently the only things visible to me. I did an SFC Scan and found no problems, I ran a Malware Fighter software, I ran Registry Fixes, I ran my anti-virus and still they all didn't help. Link Removed due to 404 Error

Can please, anybody, help me?

P.S
Attached is a picture of my desktop. I downloaded a CPU Gadget on the net and found that it is working smoothly. I opened the original windows CPU meter to see their difference in movements. Please see their percentages. Both are different. problem with ASC v4 and CPU Meter.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Yhel Gonzalo and Welcome to The Forum.

I'm unaware of the program Advanced System Care v4.

But with regards your CPU meter gadget, the lag or "delay" between readings is 3 seconds as its default reading. A lot can happen in that time (PC wise).

I've made some CPU meter gadgets that have a one second delay between readings. You can download them here: Link Removed - Invalid URL

They may not be to your cup of tea but if the "speed" appeals then I'll adjust your gadgets speed for you.

HTH.

Last edited:
Oh well, about the CPU meter what Elmer said its true theres a delay in there, I prefer using task manager to monitor my CPU and RAM than using gadget cos the fact is the gadget also using your resource when you using it...
And for the missing thing in your system after you run a scan from an antivirus? heheheheheheh I think its better to run a fresh install of your windows, some virus may have infected your file system and the antivirus may have deleted those files. Its better to re-install yang Windows.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am really trying hard not to do a fresh install as it will take a lot of time. can you suggest alternative repairs other than doing a fresh install? thank you! :D

Oh well, about the CPU meter what Elmer said its true theres a delay in there, I prefer using task manager to monitor my CPU and RAM than using gadget cos the fact is the gadget also using your resource when you using it...
And for the missing thing in your system after you run a scan from an antivirus? heheheheheheh I think its better to run a fresh install of your windows, some virus may have infected your file system and the antivirus may have deleted those files. Its better to re-install yang Windows.

The only "cleaner" and "registry fixer" that I'd personally trust would be CCleaner.

Even then a registry cleaner can delete "keys" that it shouldn't. Unless you really know what you are doing, the best advice is to steer clear of "fixing" your registry. You may end up having to "fix" your PC.

Hahahahaha, thats rite Elmer, I only use CCleaner...

Well, I think Yhel should consider the fresh install or lets say try the restore facility to undo the changes was made in the system. if thats not help and well we face the reality of fresh install is the solution.

After looking at the image you provided I noticed only a slight difference in what was being reported by both gadgets 100% vs 94% the other being identical at 56%, which is likely explained above by the lag time in poling.
The program itself seems to be very robust in its' feature set but I'm troubled by a program that suggests that it's performing a "Deep Registry Fix" and then apparently crashes.
Check the event viewer (applications) for information regarding app hang or app crash to see if there is any detail there that might be helpful.
I hope you are performing a manual restore point before proceeding with this tool.
You can always try to adjust the shortcut properties (compatability tab) to "Run as Administrator" or right click the executeable and choose "Run as Administrator" from the context menu to see if that makes any difference.
These types of utilities always scare me a little bit, especially ones that I'm not familiar with as some can be a bit too agressive and end up making corrections to your OS, that are "False Positives" and can sometimes cause more problems than they fix.
Regards
Randy

Last edited:
Back