Windows 7 Help! Windows 7 and BIOS only detecting 2 cores on Core 2 Quad Q6600

Jason761

I have recently checked if my CPU heat sink was dusty so i took it out and i cleaned it. I also took out my CPU to look at it. After i put everything back in, I turned on my computer and went to the BIOS and it only detected 2 cores on my CPU. Would it be because i placed it incorrectly?

- Run MSConfig -> Change to Boot tab -> Advanced Options -> "Number of Processors", make sure there is no check mark.

- Delete processor entries listed in Device Manager, then reboot. In BIOS, check for an option named Max CPU ID Value or CPU ID Max Val and make sure its set to disabled . Save and Exit BIOS.

- Check for a BIOS update for your system or motherboard.

- Run MSConfig -> Change to Boot tab -> Advanced Options -> "Number of Processors", make sure there is no check mark.

- Delete processor entries listed in Device Manager, then reboot. In BIOS, check for an option named Max CPU ID Value or CPU ID Max Val and make sure its set to disabled . Save and Exit BIOS.

- Check for a BIOS update for your system or motherboard.

It only says 2 in System Configuration under Number of Processors.

What is your motherboard model exactly? Your bios version may need to be upgraded to support a quad core cpu.

I have recently checked if my CPU heat sink was dusty so i took it out and i cleaned it. I also took out my CPU to look at it. After i put everything back in, I turned on my computer and went to the BIOS and it only detected 2 cores on my CPU. Would it be because i placed it incorrectly?

Check your CPU it may have a bent pin.

I seriously doubt there is a bent pin. If that were the case, inserting it to the motherboard would be impossible.

If you somehow managed to place the cpu in the wrong way, you wouldn't have any cores to do anything with - you would have broken the motherboard and cpu. Today's processors are etched so that they can only be placed in one way; the correct one.

Try setting the bios to optimized defaults then save.

---

Edit - I just looked a little about the hardware. The Quad doesn't have pins. The motherboard socket does. You could pull the cpu out and make sure that the motherboard pins underneath are all nice and straight. If bent, get back to us here for advice before doing anything.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt there is a bent pin. If that were the case, inserting it to the motherboard would be impossible.

If you somehow managed to place the cpu in the wrong way, you wouldn't have any cores to do anything with - you would have broken the motherboard and cpu. Today's processors are etched so that they can only be placed in one way; the correct one.

---

Edit - I just looked a little about the hardware. The Quad doesn't have pins. The motherboard socket does. You could pull the cpu out and make sure that the motherboard pins underneath are all nice and straight. If bent, get back to us here for advice before doing anything.

How do I know if it fits cause i put it in many different ways and it feels like it fits.

---

How do I know if it is in the right direction cause any direction i place the CPU it feels like its in the right way.

As torrent g stated the pins are on your motherboard not the CPU.Break out a magnifying glass and a good flashlight and look at them.

Surely there is some issue with the hardware since (as you mentioned) the BIOS is also recognizing only 2 cores. The pins should not be bent or broken. That's about it for checking for damage.

Surely there is some issue with the hardware since (as you mentioned) the BIOS is also recognizing only 2 cores. The pins should not be bent or broken. That's about it for checking for damage.
But before it detected 4 cores until i took out my cpu and put it back in.

Well, 4 cores are better than 2, don't see what you mean "cooler", lol? Have you tried stress testing with prime95?

A chance that bios upgrade can fix it. Although I keep in mind too it showed all 4 cores with you current bios, as you report.

Back