arnaux

My windows installer (v.5.0) seems to be corrupted or something. I can't install or uninstall anything that uses .msi and i can't seem to find any way to fix this.

I want to uninstall OpenOffice, but get error that it can't find the .msi file. A search of my computer cannot find it either.

I tried to install VirtualBox (so I could run Win XP programs), but got Error: "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. this can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance", then "Sun Virtual Box Setup Wizard ended prematurely", then "Installation of MSI Failed. Error: 1603".

Tried to install Office (I believe the problem may have started with this). It seemed to install, but then I couldn't use it and couldn't uninstall it.

Other programs give me Windows Error 1719.
The Event Viewer log is full of Errors and Warnings (1,755 in less than month....is that a lot?)
It seems that anything I try to install or uninstall that needs .msi will not work.
There is no download for Windows Installer 5.0 that I can find to repair or re-install. Have tried the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.............doesn't work either.
Is there any way to fix this problem?

Solution
It sounds like you are encountering issues with the Windows Installer service on your system, which is preventing you from installing or uninstalling programs that use .msi files. Error messages like "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed" and "Installation of MSI Failed. Error: 1603" indicate problems related to the Windows Installer service. Here are some steps you can take to try and resolve these issues:

Steps to Fix Windows Installer Problems:​

1. Restart Windows Installer Service:
    • Press Win + R, type services.msc, and hit Enter.
    • Look for Windows Installer in the list of services.
    • Right-click on it, select Restart or Start if it's not running...
It sounds like you are encountering issues with the Windows Installer service on your system, which is preventing you from installing or uninstalling programs that use .msi files. Error messages like "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed" and "Installation of MSI Failed. Error: 1603" indicate problems related to the Windows Installer service. Here are some steps you can take to try and resolve these issues:

Steps to Fix Windows Installer Problems:​

1. Restart Windows Installer Service:
    • Press Win + R, type services.msc, and hit Enter.
    • Look for Windows Installer in the list of services.
    • Right-click on it, select Restart or Start if it's not running.
    []Check Windows Installer Service Startup Type:
    • Make sure the Startup Type for the Windows Installer service is set to Manual or Automatic.
    [
    ]Check for Windows Updates:
    • Sometimes Windows Updates can address issues related to the Windows Installer service. Install any pending updates.
    []Run Windows Update Troubleshooter:
    • Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Windows Update and run the troubleshooter.
    [
    ]Check System Files:
    • Open a Command Prompt as an administrator and run:
      Code:
       sfc /scannow
    []Check Event Viewer:
    • Review the Event Viewer logs for more specific error details. Look for events related to the Windows Installer service.
    [
    ]Re-register Windows Installer:
    • Open a Command Prompt as an administrator and run:
      Code:
       msiexec /unregister msiexec /regserver
    []Check Registry Settings (Advanced):
    • Caution: Editing the registry is risky. Ensure you back up the registry before making any changes.
    • Check the registry keys related to the Windows Installer service and ensure they are correct.
    [
    ]Use System Restore:
    • Consider using System Restore to revert your system to a point where the Windows Installer was working correctly.

Event Viewer Logs:​

Having a high number of Errors and Warnings in the Event Viewer is not uncommon, but 1,755 in less than a month might indicate a potential issue. Review the specific events related to the Windows Installer to understand the root cause of the problem. After following these steps, try to install or uninstall a program using .msi files and see if the issue persists. If the problem continues, further troubleshooting might be necessary. Let me know if you need more assistance or if you encounter any specific errors during these steps.

Solution
Back