Windows XP Help

Discussion in 'General Computing' started by Payt, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Payt

Payt Member

I have a computer using XP, my wife had an older computer that had some hardware problems and we replaced it. The problem is, when I installed the drive into my computer, the icon shows it there but when I go to transfer files from my wife's drive it says the drive is not formatted. How do I get her files without reformatting the drive?

2. Payt

Payt Member

Oh, and the name is Pat not Payt as my fat fingers typed. How do I change this?

3. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hello Pat from Pat. How are you connecting the old drive to your pc?

4. Payt

Payt Member

OK, I know I took too long to answer but, I had issues with this computer. I still need help with the 2nd hard drive. My computer has two plugs that allow two hard drives to be installed so, in answer, the same as my first hard drive.

#4 Payt, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  5. Payt

Payt Member

I keep forgetting things. I am about as computer illiterate as you can get and still be able to turn the computer on. I do not know what the terminology for the plugs, wires and most other items on the computer.

6. Christopher Evers

Most of the time when people ask this question, they want to know what port it is on...(internal) IDE. PATA, SATA, SCSI, etc or (external) USB, eSATA, 1394, SCSI, etc. Being that it is connected internal then I would say to try an external bay, it might make it work. Though just keep in mind that you may have to have a professional data recovery done on it.