Windows Vista Hi

beemerbob

Just powered up my new vista computer and I am frustrated with the new start menu and the files window doesn't show more than 1 column.

How about the nag screens? can they be disabled?

Lol you'll get used to the start menu.... As for the constant 'nag's.. Go to control panel and then the user account directory. You'll see something called 'Turn user account off', turning that off ( involves a reboot) will stop the annoying screens. Altho' I'm sure someone will post about the perils of turning this off but it's up to you in the end.

I'll try that if it's reversible.

Also, how do you get the Search command to search all partitions?

If you right-click on the start button, choose properties then customize. You then scroll down to near the bottom and in the search options click to search the entire index, I'm sure that will answer your request. As for the UAC, it's the first thing I turn off after doing a fresh install. If you wish you can always turn it back on. Apparently the service pack is supposed to stop many of the prompts but personally I hate it, so off it goes!

Thank you. I also found that if I Left Click on the My Computer and use the search function from there, it even looks in my external hard drive as well as the disk partitions.

Woke up the computer this morning and saw an error message I've seen two or three times. "Windows No Disk exceptionprocessing message 0x0000 13" and then some parameters. I tried looking on the MS website, but couldn't find any fixes. Have you seen this error message?

Hi Bob, I've tried Googling your problem but have so far drawn a blank. When I get more time I'll do a more thorough check...

I found the problem. One of my old programs was pointing to a drive that was designated for a card reader.

Back
Top Bottom