Windows 7 HID registry issue perhaps affecting media hotkeys?

jaymar13

In the last few weeks my media functions/hotkeys for both my keyboard and media remote have stopped working, for example the volume keys.
-haven't done any updates
-have tried restarting obviously
-have tried using different usb for both affected devices
-haven't introduced any new hardware
-but i have ran ccleaner... which seems to be the likely culprit of the issue
in 'services' directly from start menu (rather than going directly through msconfig) i have noticed that the human interface device is set to disabled, so i suspect this to be the problem but it wont allow me to change it and and tells me 'system cannot find the specified path'. so thats where i have got the idea the registry has been corrupted(?) what can i do to sort out this issue and does it seems likely i have the correct 'diagnosis'? i am dubious about running a program, in case it tampers with the registry even more.
thanks

Exactly where are you seeing the HID set to disabled, in Device Manager? If you look in Task Manger, is the hidserv running? If it isn't, go to the Services.msc panel.

In services, it should be set to a manual start. If it is not running, try to start it. If you did remove something from the registry, can the utility you used, replace the entries? You may need to re-register the hidserv service.

Exactly where are you seeing the HID set to disabled, in Device Manager? If you look in Task Manger, is the hidserv running? If it isn't, go to the Services.msc panel.

In services, it should be set to a manual start. If it is not running, try to start it. If you did remove something from the registry, can the utility you used, replace the entries? You may need to re-register the hidserv service.

btw i have win7 64bit for reference. hid says its okay in device manager, it is stopped in task manager, it is stopped in msconfig (when i tick it and click apply, it deselects). when i go to services and try to enable, it says system cannot find path specified. i have went into device manager and uninstalled all drivers for every hid keyboard and pointers i have (except a wired mouse). its unbranded/oem equipment so there are no specific drivers. i had hoped a reinstall would do the trick but obviously not. i dont have any system restores far enough back to use and i want to put off using a registry fixer, unless its the last resort. i was hoping i might just be able to adjust certain values in the registry? but perhaps this shows my ignorance...? i have included a jpg as you can see.
thanks for your interest in trying to help

Attachments

• resize-1280x800.jpg
    resize-1280x800.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 415
Your service says an automatic start, and mine says manual. One of your devices may have changed it, hard to say. But if it won't start, I would want to make sure the file was present.

So, maybe running a System File Check would help. Open an Administrative command prompt and type the following followed by enter. Let it finish and let us know if you show unrepairable files.

SFC /scannow
If it finishes without error, try starting the service again in Services.msc. If it still will not start, in the same Admin Command prompt, type the following to re-register the service.

regsvr32 hidserv.dll

Let us know if it helps. Rebooting might be a good idea during this to make sure everything has been reset. Since you are having a problem, whatever it might be rooted, something has caused it to occur. Possibly one of the devices you have installed, or some type of corruption.

ran scannow and it concluded by saying windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations. its worth mentioning to that hidserv wasn't set to automatic, that was my attempt to change it and i received the message 'system cannot find the path specified' so after okaying it it reverts back to disabled.

I don't know what might be setting the service to disabled. There is the registry entry you show, but mine may look the same, just can't see the other entries for hidserv.

Is there anything in he Event Viewer that might help explain what is going on?

sorry i dont know anything about about the 'event viewer' to know what it does or how to use it so you'll have to explain more please.
also ive tried a system restore now and get the following message, hadn't thought about the internet security so i disabled that and tried it again with no luck, and also tried every restore point available but got the same message each time... its getting more interesting each time or rather frustrating haha

Attachments

• error msg.jpg
    error msg.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 415
The Event Viewer is a place were multiple logs are arranged for easy access. To open, you can use the control panel, or type eventvwr.msc in the Start Menu search box.

When open, expand the ERROR section and look through to see if anything seems to be related to the hidserv, or something that happens about the same time as any error message during normal operation.

If you find something, double click it and copy and paste what the error message says about what might be going on.

Did you ever re-register the hidserv?

Last edited:
FIXED! haha! I did a system restore from advanced boot options. Kind of cheated the problem away I suppose and the restore point I used was just an automatic standard 'system' restore point, luckily i didn't leave the problem any later.
and in answer to your other question I didn't try to re-register the hidserv but i'll bare that in mind if the problem returns.... pray for not! hopefully this proves helpful for anyone else out there. as to the cause, im still perplexed and can only really point to ccleaner getting a bit carried away with itself! but then that seems odd... but nevertheless its sorted and im happy! thanks for you help saltgrass! can i reward your efforts through the forum? such as adding to your rep/kudos or something similar?

Glad you got it worked out. No other input is required for the problem being resolved..

Back