High Memory use when idling

I have Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit with 6 GB of Ram and SSD.
After restarting the comp, the memory use is around 23% (of 6 GB).
After working on it for a while, running browsers, spreadsheets, playing a game the memory use just pretty high (with just a few browsers open and Football Manager around 80%).
However, the problem begins when I close all the programs, essentially going to fresh, post restart state. In this idle state, the memory use if just over 60%. This obviously seems wrong. This is over 60% use of physical memory.
What is the issue here, memory leak or something else.
Occasionally, when I have a bunch of things opened, the computer will hang because the memory use is at the peak.

Joe S

Excellent Member
23% at start sounds way to high. Do you use a WD external with Smartware? Are you using any type of automatic backup software? What do you have for anti virus and spyware?
Joe

I don't have any external hard drivee (WM or otherwise) connected to the computer. I also don't have any automatic update. Here is a screenshot of memory resource monitor showing 65% memory use (4 GB) with an idle system. I took this screenshot with everything closed, just a regular startup programs (which use up 23% of memory after restart).

memory resource monitor
If I would add the memory used, as shown in the resource monitor, it wouldn't come anywhere close to 4 GB. So where is all this memory? There is only a single user on this computer.
I've read a lot on this and the reasons vary greatly, I am yet to find the reason for my high memory use.

Last edited:
I do actually use Bit Defender for security. I have just decided to open up several high resources programs to max out the memory and see what would happen. After loading a couple of games (each taking about 500 MB), several Adobe applications (Premier etc.,) the memory use went up to 98%. However, after loading a couple of other applications, the memory use went down.
It seems that Windows 7 uses up a lot of memory, which can go up as high as 90+%, however, it releases the memory when needed for new applications.
I still think that it is weird, and I don't know if it has to do with SSD, but I'm just not going to worry about it anymore. It works.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.