Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional

ztpkng

Hi all,

I downloaded and installed Home Premium 64bit from the student download and have since realized that I need the Professional functionality. I have contacted Digital River, and they said that they have begun a refund and they have opened my student ID back up so I can go back and buy the Professional version I need. So... once I download this, is it going to be a problem to install Pro over Home Premium? Both are 64 bit, but I don't know how the upgrades work. Any insight would be appreciated... I just don't know if I can just do an upgrade or if I need to do a custom install (or, surely not, go back to XP first and then do a custom install). Thanks!

Hi all,

I downloaded and installed Home Premium 64bit from the student download and have since realized that I need the Professional functionality. I have contacted Digital River, and they said that they have begun a refund and they have opened my student ID back up so I can go back and buy the Professional version I need. So... once I download this, is it going to be a problem to install Pro over Home Premium? Both are 64 bit, but I don't know how the upgrades work. Any insight would be appreciated... I just don't know if I can just do an upgrade or if I need to do a custom install (or, surely not, go back to XP first and then do a custom install). Thanks!

Ztpkng,

Actually with the way Windows 7 is set up the product key is what chooses the version of Windows 7 installed on your machine. Click on start and right click on “Computer,â€Â￾ select “properties.â€Â￾ From there you will see an option to “Get more features with a new edition of Windows 7.â€Â￾ Once clicked you will have the option to enter an upgrade key.
For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://bit.ly/3DvynK
Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Hi all,

Since you just installed Preminum recently you probably don't have many programs installed... so a clean install won't need much work to get caught up. I would definitely do a clean install. You already know how... if you just delete ei.cfg from your iso (youdon't need to download again) and then burn it and select the Pro version you'll have 30 days to get your key and activate.... and can use rearm 3 times for 90 more days. You must have fixed the upgrade preminum so that you could do a full install with it.

Thanks for the replies! Once I get the new key, I'll try to unlock first and I'll do a custom install only if needed. My current install is fresh, but I still prefer to avoid starting over :)

Back
Top Bottom