Homegroup Problem and Phantom PC

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by ncguy, Aug 20, 2009.

1. ncguy

ncguy Honorable Member

I created a homegroup on a W7 RTM machine that I was using for testing. Didnt bother to write down the password because I wasn't planning on using it on another machine at the time. Later I installed a new W7 RTM over the test version. When I try to join a homegroup it wants the password for the machine which no longer exists? It won't allow me to do anything else until I give it that password. I tried shutting down all the PC's, router, etc for a while but no luck. Is there a reg hack or something I am going to have to do to get rid of the phantom PC?

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

I've googling for a fix but without much success.. Is it possible to do a fresh install?

3. ncguy

ncguy Honorable Member

After I rebooted all my network gear and restarted all the PC's the phantom machine was still there and preventing me from doing a new homegroup. Now that a day has passed since the reset, just for kicks, I decided to see if the phantom machine was still there. Low and behold it was gone and I was able to create the homegroup. I really didn't do anything since yesterday, didn't restart a thing or change any configuration. It was like a ghost that left in the night. I can't really figure it out but I don't think it will be an issue any longer. My only advise is that if you are down to the last machine with an enabled homegroup I would try to disable the group before wiping that particular copy of W7.

Thanks for responding kemical.

4. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi ncguy,
    thanks for the update. Great to hear your now clear of the problem too.
    Any other issues please don't hesitate to ask...