Windows 7 Homegroup Problem

tinakori

Our desktop is connected to a broadband cable modem. We have a wifi router connected to the broadband cable modem as well. We have 3 laptops all connected via the wifi router and these laptops can connect each other via the homegroup network. However, our desktop cannot connect to a laptop via the homegroup network and viceversa. The message states that you do not have permission to access and contact network administrator. The logon on laptop and desktop etc are network administrators. Is the problem because the desktop is connected to the broadband cable model whilst the laptops are accessing via the wifi router? Any suggestions would be great. This household is has basic to good understanding of technical terms only.

Thanks for any help-

First question are all of the computers involved Windows 7? Home group only works with Windows 7.
Joe

Our desktop is connected to a broadband cable modem. We have a wifi router connected to the broadband cable modem as well. We have 3 laptops all connected via the wifi router and these laptops can connect each other via the homegroup network. However, our desktop cannot connect to a laptop via the homegroup network and viceversa. The message states that you do not have permission to access and contact network administrator. The logon on laptop and desktop etc are network administrators. Is the problem because the desktop is connected to the broadband cable model whilst the laptops are accessing via the wifi router? Any suggestions would be great. This household is has basic to good understanding of technical terms only.

Thanks for any help-
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I suppose it is very possible that the problem may be caused by this.
If for instance your desktop is not on the same subnet (collision domain).
HomeGroup requires connection to a local area network and requires all your PC’s and compatible media devices to be on the same subnet.
SOURCE: Link Removed due to 404 Error (Requirements 1.1 Hardware)
So... Check the IP addressing scheme of the desktop versus the laptops involved and determine the IP addressing scheme of both. I suspect that since HomeGroups relies on IPv6 if the two routers involved are not fully IPv6 compatible then that is likely the problem. Additionally since Microsoft requires that all home group computers be on the same subnet I suspect that HomeGroup information (packets) are not routeable.
Lastly the error you are receiving
you do not have permission to access and contact network administrator
Suggests that perhaps some third party software product (Firewall or Internet Security Suite) is causing an issue so assuming that you are answering the password prompts accurately, I would investigate what type of security is present on the problem PC and consider removing it and replacing it with something like Link Removed due to 404 Error which is much more networking friendly.
Regards
Randy

EDIT: For further information
Problem – The Windows 7 computer with a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party firewall installed is visible to other homegroup computers, but the shared folders are not accessible.
Solution – The ports for file sharing are not open
SOURCE: Link Removed due to 404 Error (bottom of last page)

Last edited:
I think networking and sharing/permissions are two of the biggest problems with Windows 7. You helped me with one troublesome shared printer connection a while ago.
Joe

My question would be what type of cable modem do you have if you can connect two systems to it?

So I would have to go along with Trouble. If they are connected differently, they are probably using different DHCP servers, which means different addresses. Can you connect the desktop to the router?

Hi. Thank you to all for replying. After researching your feedback and looking into it, I realised that the error was the desktop did not have a password.. i.e. only a username. So I created a password and it all works. Again, thank you for your ideas which led me onto my journey.
Regards

Back
Top Bottom