Windows 7 homegroup/services.msc

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
Services.msc and homegroup joining

I have a desktop with Win 7 home premium x 64 and a laptop with the same.
I have Belkin router and Norton security suite. I called both about this but they say they are not the problem.
I have uninstalled Norton on both to no avail.
The Belkin router pinged 4 packets out and 4 back successfully. So as an unskilled person I do not know if that excludes Belkin as the problem.
The home group exists on the desktop and when I try to join with the laptop by putting the password given me by the desktop, the error says windows cannot set up a home group. But, when I uninstalled Norton the error message was just that there was an error. I want the laptop to join, not set up, as the desktop is already set up.
I run the troubleshooter to no avail.
I know routers can cause issues even if the firewall is off.
The advanced page under homegroups is identical in both machines and it is yes to everything.
A forum administrator took control of my pcs and could not figure it out and he is a Major Geek.
My skill level does not allow me to modify the registry.
I looked ar “services.msc” and perhaps one of the settings is off. Do you know any that could affect my machines so homegroup would not allow me to join?
I was thinking of trying a Linksys router as a last resort as I have a few days left on my return policy.
Please give me some direction to go in as I really need to share files.
Thank you
Peter Nowell

Please make sure that Symantec/Norton is completely uninstalled from both machines and then run the proprietary vendor specific removal tool found in this list here.
Then follow this step by step walk through to re-establish your homegroup and see if that helps.
Windows 7 HomeGroup: Walkthrough

Dear sir,
Thank you so much for reply as I am out of resources and ideas.
I ran the Norton removal tool www.symantec.com/nrt
It appears to be the one you are referring to.
I did it for both machines and was fearful of picking up a virus but perhaps the router helped.
Would you suggest I run yours although they appear to be alike. I did not bother with add/remove or Revo but used the tool the company advises to rid the machine of the program.
I will be happy to cooperate with you in any way I can. Please stick with me.
Thank you
Peter

No if you are sure you have already run the proprietary vendor specific removal tool, rerunning it will not do anything.
Just follow the walkthrough in the other link step by step and see if that resolves the issue.

Hello
I have never seen this approach but I am sure it will work as the others did not. This is logical.
I know my problem. I have homegroups and cannot remove them. I click on 'leave homegroup' but when I enter the password following your directions;
1-one time it said there is an existing homegroup
2-another time, when the wizard box opened to enter the desktop password, there was a password in the box waiting for me.
How do I totally remove any existing homegroups?
Then I believe your system will work.
No one in a month of trying has been able to do it.
Thank you so much for your help and I look forward to your reply about removing the existing homegroups.
Gratefully,
Peter

I just wanted to tell you that I entered the password given by the desktop in the laptop and checked it to be sure in the dsktop. It was accurate but it said it could not join.
I think thee is an existing homegroup and I checked how to remove it.
I typed leave homegroup in the help and support. it said to click on a link I did, and clicked leave homegroup.
I didit a second time but there did not appear to be one.
Is there a folder that needs to be cleaned?

Win 7 Home Premium x 64 both pcs.
I was unable to have my laptop join the desktop in a homegroup so I could share files. Foor at least 100 times the laptop would not accept the password given by the desktop.
I used an ethernet cable and when I connected the laptop to the router, the laptop finally accepted the password and was joined.
I tried to change the password and only when I connect the laptop to the router will it work. Although the pcs say the are joined I think it is like a time print in that those words were created when they were connected by the wire.
I do not know how to test if the pcs are joined wirelessly but I suspect not.
Do you know how I can test to see if this homegroup is valid and if there is connectivity.
I have never done this and am trying to read about fie sharing but am not getting the concept or procedure.
Should I exchange the router or is there a way to test this?
Thank you
Peter]

For those who may have followed this thread, I had connectivity after using the Ethernet cable as I described and still have it w/o the cable. Perhaps the cable was necessary to activate the router or something involved in the process.
I wanted to add that the lack of support everywhere may be due to the fact that 2 Win 7 operating systems must be used to establish homegroups and the file sharing with it. One Win 7 os can only perform file sharing the old way.
I needed this home group set up in order to rum Win Synchtoy.
Hope this helps someone.
Peter

Back