Windows 7 Homegroup Slow Data Transfer Speeds Between 2 Win7 PC's - One Works Fine - Help Needed

Stangmar

EDIT 2: New information again, I tried copying the files without using a homegroup and it all worked just fine. Any ideas as to why things transfer fine without a homegroup and just regular sharing but not with a home group? Any help would be appreciated, I would really rather use a homegroup instead of regular file sharing.

EDIT: New information: Still looking for help, however new information. I borrowed a friends laptop and connected it to the network (wired connection) and the same problem is happening. That means the problem is clearly on the HTPC. Any ideas what could be causing it the slowdown when transferring files from the HTPC to other PC's but leaving the HTPC able to copy files from others (incoming files to HTPC fine, outgoing files from HTPC slow).

Any assistance would be appreciated. Original Message Below.

Dear Windows7forums,

I am having an issue I am hoping someone here can help me with. Currently I have two PC's, one running Win 7 Pro and the other Win 7 Home. The Win 7 Pro PC is my gaming PC and the Win 7 Home PC is my HTPC. They are both linked via a router (Cisco M10 Valet) and both via wired connections.

Recently I thought it would be neat to turn my HTPC into a media/file server as well so I can access files on it from my Win 7 Pro Gaming PC. As such I simply made a homegroup linked the two and added my media library on the HTPC to the list of folders to be shared on the homegroup.

Everything worked fine up-to that point, here is where the problem comes in. The HTPC can copy files from my Gaming PC without any issue, can copy a 500MB file in a matter of seconds. However when the Gaming PC tries to copy a file from the HTPC the transfer speed is in the area of 2-10kbps. Clearly something is wrong yet I have no way to tell what side the HomeGroup the problem is on. Currently I don't suspect it to be on the HTPC side as I did a fresh install of Win 7 and all related HTPC software (XBMC + Apps) under 2 weeks ago. As such its about as fresh as a new born baby.

One thing that I find quite vexing is the gaming PC has zero problems with connection speed when it comes to the internet. Nice and fast, no problems. The same is true for the HTPC. Both are in the range of 35-38 Mbps Down and 4-5Mbps Up. As such its a very confusing problem. I have also ran checks on all hard drives to search for bad sectors in case it was a hard drive issue yet nothing was found. I also tried using a different router (a WRT54GL) to make sure it was not something like that, the symptoms were the same. I have also tried replacing all network cables and found no change.

I really think its a network problem, it is just outside of the realm of my expertise. I am hoping someone here can help me with this problem.

Both PC's specs in full are below, any ideas to narrow down the problem, or things I can check would be most appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time everyone,

-S

Specs:

Gaming PC:
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 ST380817AS & Western Digital Cav.Green WD30EZRS 3TB
CPU: AMD FX 8150
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866mhz
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX - Bios 0901
Video Cards: 2x Sapphire AMD 6970 2GB
Virus Scanner: MS Security Essentals
Windows Updates: 100% Up To Date

HTPC:
HDD: Western Digital Cav.Green WD3200AUDX 320GB
CPU: AMD A6-3500 Llano 2.1GHz
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3 1600
Motherboard: ASRock A55M-HVS
Video: Radeon HD 6530D - On CPU
Virus Scanner: MS Security Essentals
Windows Updates: 100% Up To Date

Last edited:
Still looking for help, however new information. I borrowed a friends laptop and connected it to the network (wired connection) and the same problem is happening. That means the problem is clearly on the HTPC. Any ideas what could be causing it the slowdown when transferring files from the HTPC to other PC's but leaving the HTPC able to copy files from others (incoming files to HTPC fine, outgoing files from HTPC slow).

Any assistance would be appreciated.

-S

New information again, I tried copying the files without using a homegroup and it all worked just fine. Any ideas as to why things transfer fine without a homegroup and just regular sharing but not with a home group? Any help would be appreciated, I would really rather use a homegroup instead of regular file sharing.

-S

Back
Top Bottom