Windows 7 Homegroup

vettenut

I am running 2 PC's both with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit system. The laptop will not let me modify a home group. What should I do to get past this problem?

I never messed with home groups. You could try deleting the home group and all it's settings on the laptop. Then try joining the home group on the desktop.
Joe

I am running 2 PC's both with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit system. The laptop will not let me modify a home group. What should I do to get past this problem?

Are you an administrator on your laptop? Have you tried to leave the homegroup and join the one from your desktop?

Okay -- have you "left" the Homegroup on the laptop to join the Homegroup from your main PC?

Attachments

• homegroup.png
    homegroup.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 418
Also

When trying to leave the home group on the laptop I get:

Windows could not remove your computer from the home group.

I did that with the same result.

Try this: Go to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking and delete all of the files in this folder. Now restart the computer.

Go to Services again and you should be able to start 'Peer Networking Grouping' and 'Peer Name Resolution Protocol'. Restart the computer again.

When you log on this time, check the event log again, to ensure no errors concerning the two services are present and also check Services to ensure the two services concerned are running.

You should now have full functionality restored to your homegroup.

OK

On the laptop I tried this and got: Windows could not start the Peer Networking Grouping service on local computer. Error 1068 the dependency service or group failed to start.

On the laptop I tried this and got: Windows could not start the Peer Networking Grouping service on local computer. Error 1068 the dependency service or group failed to start.

Can you check your services.msc and ensure that Peer Networking Grouping service is started?

Correction

Back