ShafferNY

My Wi-Fi router is located on the other end of our house. I can connect to it with my laptop but my wife can't with her iPhone. Since I leave my laptop in our bedroom, I thought I'd try to set it up as a Wi-Fi access point, then she can connect to the internet though my laptop.

Currently I have my laptop configured as a hosted network, but the "wireless network connection 2" says I don't have internet access. When I check off the box in properties>sharing, that says "allow other network users to connect to through this computers internet connection", I lose MY wireless connection.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a write-up on this? Is what I'm trying to do impossible?

FWIW, I'm running Windows 7 on a Sony Vaio laptop with an Atheros AR9285 network adapter.

TIA

Solution
It seems like you are trying to share your laptop's internet connection with your wife's iPhone by setting up your laptop as a Wi-Fi access point. This process involves creating a hosted network on your laptop and sharing the internet connection with other devices.
Here's a step-by-step guide to troubleshoot and set up a Wi-Fi access point using your Windows 7 laptop:
1. Check Hosted Network Support:
- First, ensure that your laptop's network adapter supports hosted network functionality. You can check this by running a command in Command Prompt.
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the following command:
Code:
     NETSH WLAN show drivers
- Look for "Hosted network supported" under the "Wireless...
It seems like you are trying to share your laptop's internet connection with your wife's iPhone by setting up your laptop as a Wi-Fi access point. This process involves creating a hosted network on your laptop and sharing the internet connection with other devices.
Here's a step-by-step guide to troubleshoot and set up a Wi-Fi access point using your Windows 7 laptop:
1. Check Hosted Network Support:
- First, ensure that your laptop's network adapter supports hosted network functionality. You can check this by running a command in Command Prompt.
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the following command:
Code:
     NETSH WLAN show drivers
- Look for "Hosted network supported" under the "Wireless LAN" section. It should ideally show "Yes."
2. Create a Hosted Network:
- If your network adapter supports hosted networks, you can create a hosted network using Command Prompt. Here's how you can set it up:
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the following command to set up a hosted network:
Code:
       NETSH WLAN set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=YourNetworkName key=YourNetworkPassword
- Replace "YourNetworkName" with the name you want for your network and "YourNetworkPassword" with the password you want to set.
- Start the hosted network using the command:
Code:
       NETSH WLAN start hostednetwork
3. Share Internet Connection:
- After creating the hosted network, you can share your laptop's internet connection with the hosted network.
- Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on "Change adapter settings" in the left pane.
- Right-click on your current internet connection (e.g., Ethernet or Wi-Fi) and go to Properties.
- In the Properties window, go to the Sharing tab and check the box that says "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection." Select the hosted network you just created from the drop-down list.
4. Connect iPhone to Hosted Network:
- On your wife's iPhone, search for available Wi-Fi networks and connect to the hosted network you created on your laptop.
- Enter the password you set for the hosted network when prompted.
If you are still facing issues with internet access on your laptop when sharing the connection, you can try troubleshooting the network adapter settings or double-check the sharing settings.
If you need a detailed guide with screenshots and additional troubleshooting steps, I can search for a relevant write-up or tutorial for setting up a Wi-Fi access point on Windows 7 for you. Let me know if you would like me to look that up for you!

Solution
Back