Windows 7 How can I setup a home network???

HarshMan

I have a laptop running Win7 x86 with wireless internet access. I just built a desktop running Win7 x64. My question is: can I setup the desktop to access the internet connection from the laptop and share files between both machines by simply connecting them together with an ethernet cable? I hope this isn't too stupid of a question, but it's the only option I have at the moment...thanks for any help or suggestions anyone can offer.

You would have to buy what is called a "crossover cable" which is an ethernet cable with pins 2 and 4 reversed (I think) on each end. If you google crossover cable you will find instrucyions to make one but i suggest you just purchase one since if you not in IT you probably dont have the parts lying around anyway.

I've never actually been forced to do this myself but am pretty sure that after making this connection you can simply run one of the network setup utilities in windows.

Oh, but i do have the parts...at least the ethernet cables, about 5 or six i think...plenty of leeway for trial and error!! and I used to be in IT, and am just getting back into the game. So I'll give it a try later tonight. Guess I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, and evidently some wires too!! (Sorry, I can't resist a bad pun). Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom