how do I find all files named xxx?

Hello everybody.

How do I find all the file named "whatever.exe" in my comuter?

And the drives and paths they are in?

Like in window XP.

Don Cole

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums :).
Do you mean "whatever" being a wildcard? You're looking for all executable files?

You should be able to do it by opening explorer, and in the search field (top right) inputting: *.exe
The asterisk is the wildcard. Windows should now find all executable files. You can modify it to your liking.

Thank you Mitchell_A,
For your response. However I may not have asked my question properly.
What I mean is I have a file on my computer 'dll.e'. As a matter of fact I have several copies of this file.
Some on drive C: some on drive K:.
What I would like to do is type in 'dll.e' and get a list of ALL the dll.e files on my computer with drive and path.

I know how to use Search programs and files above the Start button. But that only shows me files found in C:.
(Is there a way to change this to ALL drives?). I know how to find files each individual drive. What I want do is find ALL
'dll.e' files in ALL drives in one fell swoop. Like it works in winXP,s Search All files and folders.
Don Cole

Open Computer (where all the HDDs and DVD/CD drives are shown...aka Windows Explorer.) Top right is your search box.

Thank you TorrentG,

That's exactly what I was looking for. It is so simple i overlooked it.

Don Cole

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
I'd posted the exact same thing as Torrent, but I now realize I posted it in the wrong thread :D

Cheers, Torrent :)

Glad you've solved the problem.
Thanks for using the Windows 7 Forums, see ya around :)

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.