Windows 7 How do I get Updated Printer driver

perDK

I have an older HP printer (Deskjet 970cxi) working fine with updated driver on my Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit installation. I have now bought a desktop with Windows 7 home, and can't find the driver. It is not in the driver overview supplied by the add printer driver Wizard.

To get started I downloaded an XP driver. The printer was installed but is - of course - not working.

When right clicking on the printer I get an option to choose printer properties from where I - from the advanced TAB - can choose to install a new driver. This gives me the add printer driver Wizard from where I now can choose to call Windows Update which download all drivers and shows me exactly the one I want. When I choose it and presses Finish nothing more happens. The action is never fullfilled. The Wizard just stops responding.

Any advises on how to update the drivers in the add printer driver Wizard ?

If you checked the HP website and could not find it you might try to use a third party to help locate it. I used drivermax but am sure there are other programs besides that to help you find the driver you need. It worked for me.

I have an older HP printer (Deskjet 970cxi) working fine with updated driver on my Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit installation. I have now bought a desktop with Windows 7 home, and can't find the driver. It is not in the driver overview supplied by the add printer driver Wizard.

To get started I downloaded an XP driver. The printer was installed but is - of course - not working.

When right clicking on the printer I get an option to choose printer properties from where I - from the advanced TAB - can choose to install a new driver. This gives me the add printer driver Wizard from where I now can choose to call Windows Update which download all drivers and shows me exactly the one I want. When I choose it and presses Finish nothing more happens. The action is never fullfilled. The Wizard just stops responding.

Any advises on how to update the drivers in the add printer driver Wizard ?

There isn't any windows 7 drivers for most older hp printers. Windows 7 finds basic drivers for my deskjet 5900 (no software suite though).

If Windows 7 doesn't find basic drivers for your hp, then there isn't much you can do. They explain that somewhere on their website.

If you haven't already, go here and read this article. Link Removed - Invalid URL
Do you have this printer directly connected to the Windows 7 machine with a USB cable, if so remove any previously installed drivers and software packages and reboot the machine, run windows update. If you are trying to run it on the network, let us know, it may require a couple of extra steps.

I Had read the article suggested by trouble

but is was of no help because Windows didn't find the right driver. I haven't tried your other suggestion about removing the cable and everything, I'll try that later tonight.

I have tried to install the printer both as a local printer and as a network printer on my NAS. No difference in what happens, the driver only shows in the Wizards driverlist but I can't finish it.

Back