Windows 7 How do I re-enable the "always ask before opening this type of file" box?

mgaines0513

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium with IE8. I accidently unchecked the box that says "always ask before opening this type of file" box, and I want it back. Now when I download a .zip file it throws it into a Temporary Internet Files folder, that when I look for it, the folder doesn't even exsist. I want the box back so that I am able to specify the file path when I download .zip files again. PLEASE HELP!!! It's driving me crazy!!!!!

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium with IE8. I accidently unchecked the box that says "always ask before opening this type of file" box, and I want it back. Now when I download a .zip file it throws it into a Temporary Internet Files folder, that when I look for it, the folder doesn't even exsist. I want the box back so that I am able to specify the file path when I download .zip files again. PLEASE HELP!!! It's driving me crazy!!!!!

In IE... press the ALT key to expose the menu...
Tools -> Internet options -> Security -> Custom -> Downloads -> Automatic propmpting

You bet. Glad it worked. Thanks for posting back with the update. Now maybe you can change your mood from grumpy to something more applicable.
Anyhow, welcome to the forums. Thanks for joining and posting your issue here. Hope to continue to see you around.

[h=2]Re: How do I re-enable the "always ask before opening this type of file" box?[/h]
Have a look here. It's for vista, but it sounds like it may be what you are looking for.
Reset Open/Save Choice for Internet Explorer Downloads in Vista - How-To Geek

This works but in my experience it gets reset when you restart the computer. In order to get it to stick, you need to put exact reg keys and folders in the user profile that you are trying to modify. This will make it stick.​

Example: HKEY_USER\(S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXXXXXX)\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\AttachmentExecute\(The numbered subfolder under this)
The keys listed in the link go here.

Give this a shot and let me know what you think.

Re: How do I re-enable the "always ask before opening this type of file" box?

Have a look here. It's for vista, but it sounds like it may be what you are looking for.
Reset Open/Save Choice for Internet Explorer Downloads in Vista - How-To Geek

This works but in my experience it gets reset when you restart the computer. In order to get it to stick, you need to put exact reg keys and folders in the user profile that you are trying to modify. This will make it stick.​

Example: HKEY_USER\(S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXXXXXX)\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\AttachmentExecute\(The numbered subfolder under this)
The keys listed in the link go here.

Give this a shot and let me know what you think.

2a99y0o.jpg
to Windows 7 Forums, techguy

Just to let you know, your suggestion was already given in Reply #2 and applied and fixed the issue almost 2 years ago.
Thanks for your effort.

Regards
Don

2a99y0o.jpg
to Windows 7 Forums, techguy

Just to let you know, your suggestion was already given in Reply #2 and applied and fixed the issue almost 2 years ago.
Thanks for your effort.

Regards
Don

I apologize for not being specific enough. This soloution works temorarily but does not stay when computer is restarted (at least for some file types). An example would be word or excel docs. When you restart, windows deletes these entries. To get them to stay, you need to put them in the profile section of the registry instead of current user.

Back