Windows 7 How do I save a snapshot of a webpage?

elbiciclista

I want to save snapshots of webpages, including all text, photos, etc. just as I see the webpage in my browser (Firefox).

I have been using the File -> Save Page As function, but I now discover that the saved .htm file is still tied to the webpage and can be lost if the webpage is changed. I want to archive a snapshot of the webpage at that particular point in time.

Do I need an app that works in Windows 7, or a Firefox add-on?

Thanks for the help!

Screengrab add on might meet your needs:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/screengrab/

Just install then right click on any page and save as jpg or png.

Uh oh, I forgot to include a requirement, Pat. :frown:
Later, I need to be able to Copy text from the saved file and Paste it into a document.
For example, I'd like to save an eBay listing and then copy/paste portions of it later. This won't work with the Screengrab formats (PNG or JPEG). I've got to save it as some kind of doc.

Howabout just highlighting the whole page, copy (ctrl/A) and paste (ctrl/V) into a Word document.

Howabout just highlighting the whole page, copy (ctrl/A) and paste (ctrl/V) into a Word document.

I have now been told that I can use
Right click -> Save Page As
then save as "Webpage, complete"
and this saved .htm doc will include everything and will not be affected by future changes to the actual web page.

Does that sound right to you?

No. That will download all the elements . You can possibly sort through them and find what you want, but it will be a very long process. Aklso, as with "snapshot" programs, they will be graphic/picture files so you will not be able to copy/paste any individual text within.

Best way is to use a web design progam and download the whole site to your hard disk. You can then do what you like with it.
Another alternative is to use a web downloader. her is one, for example:

HTTrack Website Copier - Offline Browser

This will download the site to your computer. You can then use word or a web design program to examine and use it.

Two things to be careful of when using website downloaders:

1. You need to take care over copyright issues - the vast majority of websites will be subject to copyright and even where they are not it is common courtesy to ask permission.
2. Downloaders will search out chains of links unless you are very careful and you could end up with megabytes of data being downloaded.

If you just need to record what is on the page you see rather than access everything it is linking to you may find the copy and past solution is the most simple.

No. That will download all the elements . You can possibly sort through them and find what you want, but it will be a very long process. Aklso, as with "snapshot" programs, they will be graphic/picture files so you will not be able to copy/paste any individual text within.

Best way is to use a web design progam and download the whole site to your hard disk. You can then do what you like with it.
Another alternative is to use a web downloader. her is one, for example:

This will download the site to your computer. You can then use word or a web design program to examine and use it.

Well, I just saved this Windows 7 Forum web page to my desktop, using "Save Page As".
When I open it, it looks exactly like this page.
It is not a picture file..........it is an htm doc.
I copied some text and pasted it into a word doc.
So, it seems to do exactly what I want.....am I missing something?

I basically just want to archive my eBay listings, including photos, etc. Occasionally, I will copy old text and use it in a new listing.

I can alternatively Copy/Paste the web page into a Word doc, but it doesn't show the page exactly like it looked.

Sounding like that's the best solution for your needs - stick with it.

That's interesting. Did you use, as you posted, right clcik and save as, or selct save as from the top menu "File"

This is what mine looks like, using either.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

personally I use the inbuilt windows 7 screengrab program snipping tool ?

Anytime I anything I need an Html, jpeg , gif or png I press the windows key then type sn and the top search will be snipping tool , then I press return and it offers a select tool and then save and its done with reasonable quality :bee:

That's interesting. Did you use, as you posted, right clcik and save as, or selct save as from the top menu "File"

This is what mine looks like, using either.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I just did it both ways, I get the same result.
After saving the page, I double click on the saved doc and it opens in Firefox..........it looks just like the web page I just saved.
This approach also saves an accompanying folder which holds all the details of the page (jpegs, etc.). The saved html needs this info to reconstruct the page.

Understood. You opened it with a browser.
Interesting. I do not have a "save as" after a right click. But the other idea works to a certain extent. I feel that using the download tool I mentioned is a litlle more accurate in rendering but - horses for courses I guess.

Understood. You opened it with a browser.
Interesting. I do not have a "save as" after a right click. But the other idea works to a certain extent. I feel that using the download tool I mentioned is a litlle more accurate in rendering but - horses for courses I guess.

why use a third party tool when the built in windows snipping tool does it all very well ?

As far as I am aware, the snipping tool, and most screen capture programs, produce an image (jpg etc.)
If you read the posters comments, he wishes to copy and paste items of text from the pages. Apart from recopying small portions of the snipped image, I do not know of any way this could be done?

I want to save snapshots of webpages, including all text, photos, etc. just as I see the webpage in my browser (Firefox).

I have been using the File -> Save Page As function, but I now discover that the saved .htm file is still tied to the webpage and can be lost if the webpage is changed. I want to archive a snapshot of the webpage at that particular point in time.

Do I need an app that works in Windows 7, or a Firefox add-on?

Thanks for the help!

I mostly use windows snipping tool.

If I really need to screenshot the entire thread, I sometimes use a FF 4 compatible extension Screen Capture Elite - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fi...e/roadblock/?src=addondetail&version=2.0.0.20.

e.g.

Capture.jpg

Back