Windows 7 How do you set default to 'size all columns to fit' in Explore

If you right click the title bar (Name-DateModified, etc) it gives you a "Size all Columns to fit". I don't know if this will make it default, but let us know.

Another thing I learned is if you have columns that are too narrow for all the data, you can get a double arrow on the column divider and double click and it will expand to show the entire line. And this works in more than just Explorer.

Thanks
I was aware of the Size all cols to fit comand.
It doesn't make it the default. Though why would anyone not always want columns to fit.
Mind boggling stupidity of MS not to make that the default!
I have other issues with Windows 7 explore I didn't have with XP explore.
Are MS going backwards!

Extremely mind boggling! MS were advised of this way back in the Vista Beta testting days, and, to date, have still not rectified it.
I have worked out a poor compromise for it, which you could follow. Open a well populated folder and manually resixe the columns to your personal preference.. Open Tools - Folder Options - View, and click "Apply to all folders"

Extremely mind boggling! MS were advised of this way back in the Vista Beta testting days, and, to date, have still not rectified it.
I have worked out a poor compromise for it, which you could follow. Open a well populated folder and manually resixe the columns to your personal preference.. Open Tools - Folder Options - View, and click "Apply to all folders"
OK thanks. I'll try that.
Glad I'm not the only one vexed by MS crap products. How long has Windows been around ?
25 or 30 years & they still haven't got the basics right!!!!!!
The search function in Windows 7 explore is pretty weird too!
Preferred XP search.
No wonder that switching to Mac is a one way trip!

I have , what I think, is a good answer for that also. I uninstalled the search facility and installed "Everything" - works like magic!

Last edited:
I'm another for removing Windows Search (removed at source using Win Toolkit, never to be seen again), though my search weapon of choice is Locate32.

Back