Windows 8 how do you....

Welcome the forums. You are stuck my friend. There is absolutely no question in my mind: This was done intentionally. Earlier leaked builds do not have this problem at all. They are clearly still experimenting with the user interface, and this version has a nerfed desktop for developers. The goal of the BUILD conference is to get developers excited and ready to develop applications under the new programming model being introduced in C# and .NET under the AppStore. Microsoft must believe this will translate into highly usable apps when they launch Windows 8 onto tablets, phones, and other smart devices based on the ARM architecture. This is definitely a gimped version of Windows - providing just enough for developers to interact with the OS. Its quite annoying, but it is what it is. Wait until the next build where we may be able to see more improvements.

I am convinced this build was forked out of their main development branch just for the purpose of public development. They are clearly working on many elements of the operating system separately that may come together at a later date (Let's hope).

Thanks. So far what do you think of this new OS? I've been a huge Microsoft supporter for close to 20 years and for the first time in my life I am looking at Macs. Windows 8 if shipped without more improvments will sink in my opinion. It already feels like Vista II

If you can disable Metro UI and if it runs faster than Windows 7 I will be fine adopting the OS. They are trying to push into the mobile market because it is where they have lost the most to their competitors.

You can disable the Metro UI I did Method 2 and it worked.

Method 1:

C:\Windows\System32\shsxs.dll to shsxs.old

Method 2:

Using the registry method go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer and modify RPEnabled to 0 where the default value is 1

Both methods requires to reboot.

Since this thread started, there have been suggestions and utilities posted, which can alter a few things. Ref the OP and Mike's follow up (post #2) , there is now a way.
have a look at this little program
Windows 8 Start Tweaker 1.01 by ~Ruanmei on deviantART

Remember to click the US flag, unless you are fluent in Canton !!

My start menu, after using it.

Back
Top Bottom