How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forcing a System Crash from the Keyboard

Most of the following keyboards can cause a system crash directly:
PS/2 keyboards connected on i8042prt portsYou must ensure the following three settings before the keyboard can cause a system crash:

If you wish a crash dump file to be written, you must enable such dump files, choose the path and file name, and select the size of the dump file. For more information, see Enabling a Kernel-Mode Dump File.

With PS/2 keyboards, you must enable the keyboard-initiated crash in the registry. In the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters, create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll, and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

With USB keyboards, you must enable the keyboard-initiated crash in the registry. In the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdhid\Parameters, create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll, and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

You must restart the system for these settings to take effect.

After this is completed, the keyboard crash can be initiated by using the following hotkey sequence: Hold down the rightmost CTRL key, and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice.

The system then calls KeBugCheck and issues bug check 0xE2 (MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH). Unless crash dumps have been disabled, a crash dump file is written at this point.
If a kernel debugger is attached to the crashed machine, the machine will break into the kernel debugger after the crash dump file has been written.
For more information on using this feature, refer to the article Generate a memory dump file by using the keyboard (KB 244139).

Code:
I don't have a host to serve the html page. I also don't want my machine name made public for security reasons. So I took a screenshot and quickly edited the machine name out. Here it is:

Hi TG -

Your screenshot -

From the screenshot, I see Windows 7 Ultimate installed on drive d:

Your page file is on drive e: and shows -

- page file creation date = 27 November 2009
- " " allocated base size = 2046 MB = which is perfect assuming 2 GB RAM installed
- virtual memory peak usage = 1227 MB
- current virtual memory usage (@ time of running the EXE) = 526 MB

However, I also see conflicting information about the page file as it appears that you have min/ max page file size = 0, which I usually see if virtual memory is turned off vs. "system managed".

Given these settings + WERCON being disabled, it is interesting that your system can produce a dump file. But as the saying goes, "never say never"!

The 1227 MB peak virtual memory usage suggests that you are experiencing heavy paging activity, i.e., your system could use additional RAM.

The kb that I believe Captain was referring to --> kb927069 - How to generate a kernel crash dump file via an NMI

kb927069 assures that one will not run out of kernel memory dumps as you can BSOD your system at any time by pressing a few keys.

Have a good night.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

I have the page file managed by the system. These are my settings since installing Windows in the screenshot.

My motherboard has the maximum amount of memory installed that it can handle, which is 2 GB (2x1GB). All in all, I have no complaints on system performance. This pc is simply fantastic for what it is. I mean, how many P4 AGP systems can run Wolfenstein at 1680X1050 all settings maxed @ 40-50 solid fps, 60 locked much of the time and rare occasional drops to 20-30. It's given as a general example of many of how I use the pc.

A quick question...Is that 1227 mb max usage since the page file was created or since the previous reboot?

At times, I have opened a million apps purposely in an attempt to crash the system to test its stability and how it would behave. (It did well lol.) This is probably the reason for the high usage shown.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 812
Seems that the peak usage in the page file is only since the last reboot, as it is now showing 603 MB with a system uptime of 3 days, 6 hours.

Interesting.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 853
Hi -

Yes, the "Peak Usage" resets with each re-boot. I did see the new screenshots and see the page file on drive e:, but notice that you have the dumps being written to drive d:, which is your choice.

If you wish to see virtual memory usage by process, create a kernel dump via BSOD with the kb settings as Captain Jack mentioned, run the full kernel - %windir%\memory.dmp - and issue the !vm command.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

I hate to jump in here but I have been getting the bsod of death a couple times since coming back to school and am getting worried. I created a folder with my .dmp files but I can't zip it. Any suggestions so I can load it up for you guys to take a look? I am getting "File not found of no read permission" when I try to compress it.

I hate to jump in here but I have been getting the bsod of death a couple times since coming back to school and am getting worried. I created a folder with my .dmp files but I can't zip it. Any suggestions so I can load it up for you guys to take a look? I am getting "File not found of no read permission" when I try to compress it.

Here is the Link to download the application SF Diagnostic Tool - Using for Troubleshooting - Windows 7 Forums

Please create a new thread while posting the crash dumps. You have to copy them from the Minidump folder to any other folder before zipping. Or use Captain's link, as admin.

I have tried everything but could not get any dump file. there is no number counting at end of blue screen. it simply stop. no any file created in minidump folder. I manually set paging file size to number larger than memory size. system failure set to small meomry dump.

what should i do?

Please fill in your Computer Specs under My Profile using Settings > Edit Profile > scroll down to Operating System:. Finally Save Changes.

This would be a great help to other Forum Members who are trying to troubleshoot your problems.

If you are unsure of your specs., you can download and run Speccy which will help you with the main details.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Helpful things to fill in would be:

Operating system and whether it is 32bit (x86) or 64bit (x64),
Which Service Pack,
Motherboard Mfr. and model number,
CPU Type and Speed,
BIOS Version,
Memory (RAM) Mfr. and model number,
Video Card Type and Speed,
Power Supply Unit (PSU) Mfr. and Wattage.

If it's a pre-built system or laptop/notebook, the Mfr. and full model number would also certainly come in very handy.

This will help to take some of the guesswork out of analysing your problems.

Elmer.

Last edited:
Your system specs as Elmer rightly suggests is the most important thing you can do to help us decipher your system crashes. If you dont give us the specs it delays your repair.

Please fill in your Computer Specs under My Profile using Settings > Edit Profile > scroll down to Operating System:. Finally Save Changes.

This would be a great help to other Forum Members who are trying to troubleshoot your problems.

If you are unsure of your specs., you can download and run Speccy which will help you with the main details.

Windows7Forums-1.png

Helpful things to fill in would be:

Operating system and whether it is 32bit (x86) or 64bit (x64),
Which Service Pack,
Motherboard Mfr. and model number,
CPU Type and Speed,
BIOS Version,
Memory (RAM) Mfr. and model number,
Video Card Type and Speed,
Power Supply Unit (PSU) Mfr. and Wattage.
Network Card with the Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number and Revision Number.

If it's a pre-built system or laptop/notebook, The Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number and Revision Number if applicable would be a great help.

This will help to take some of the guesswork out of analysing your problems.

Elmer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back