How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you wish someone to assist you with BSOD this is the procedure:

Download, extract and run the W7F Diagnostic Tool by right clicking on the W7F Diagnostic Tool executable and choosing Run as administrator . Click on Grab All . When done, go to your desktop --> Right Click on "W7F_folder --> Send To --> Compressed (zipped) folder. Attach the zipped folder with your post when asking for BSOD help.

Download: W7F Diagnostic tool

yl3jb.png

We please ask that you do ZIP or RAR the file, thus reducing its size, as this will help solve your problem and reduce overall disk consumption on our servers. For help using file compression, please watch this video:

Important! Every thread starter please see. Please download and run CPU-Z from this link CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
We would like to see screen shots or a single image that includes All The Tabs in CPU-z including All Slots under the SPD Tab that are populated with memory sticks. Minimally the memory tab and all Slots under the SPD Tab but all tabs would be appreciated. You can include them in the folder that the SF Diagnostic Tool creates for you on your desktop (before zipping) and after compressing the folder attach it to your next post by clicking reply, then go advanced and using the paper clip on the tool bar to browse, find the zipped folder and upload it here.

How to take a screenshot, Snipping Tool: Start Menu > Accessories > Snipping Tool Snipping Tool - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows Or press Alt-PrintScreen while CPU-Z window is running and active, and then paste it to MS Paint and save.

Also Download PassMark RAMMon and attach the HTML Report.
rammon-mainscreen.png

Note: Please start new thread when you ask help for you. Please don't post in others thread because it could cause confusion. We want to give individual attention to every poster to deliver the best technical support. And please do not attach your dump files individually (unless there is only one). Put all information you intend to attach into one folder, compress that folder and attach it as per the instructions above.
EDIT: Copy of Captain Jack's post from our Windows7Forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thanks to Captain Jack for including the systeminfo.txt file in the new data collection app!

I'd also like to suggest that perfmon /report be included - as it points out a lot of errors that don't make it into other reports (such as the Dirty Bit being flagged on NTFS file systems and over ful hard drives).

Unfortunately a lot of posters have issues with running this tool - so we don't always get the report when we ask for it. A saved html file in the app would make it nice for us.

My thanks to Captain Jack for including the systeminfo.txt file in the new data collection app!

I'd also like to suggest that perfmon /report be included - as it points out a lot of errors that don't make it into other reports (such as the Dirty Bit being flagged on NTFS file systems and over ful hard drives).

Unfortunately a lot of posters have issues with running this tool - so we don't always get the report when we ask for it. A saved html file in the app would make it nice for us.

Thanks John! I'll look into it.

Could also add in instructions: Don't just call the .zip file "W7F-21-10-2012" or something, call it "BSODCollect - <name>" so debuggers know which one is which (if they use multiple screens).

Thanks Trouble, I downloaded the app but I was unable to run as administrator.
Is it becuase the W7F Diagnositic Tool is a W7 tool?
Thanks,
Bob

Hello:
I am having the BSOD, whenever I try to do the following things:
1) Try to browse for a file to attach as an attachment to my email
2) In MS Word or Excel, I try to open a file using "File Open" button.
I tried using the W7F Diagnostic tool, but it did not create a folder named W7F on the desktop.
I did see that the system created a .dmp file in my folder: C:\Windows\Minidump\120212-21216-01.dmp
Please help

ssshenoy - please start your own topic in order to receive assistance

Zip up the contents of C:\Windows\Minidump and attach it to your new topic.

this is my error report.:( im hoping that you could tell me what the problem is. help is really appreciated. cheers!

Attachments

• minidump.rar
    56.4 KB · Views: 616

Download, extract and run the W7F Diagnostic Tool by right clicking on the W7F Diagnostic Tool executable and choosing Run as administrator . Click on Grab All . When done, go to your desktop --> Right Click on "W7F_folder --> Send To --> Compressed (zipped) folder. Attach the zipped folder with your post when asking for BSOD help.

Download: W7F Diagnostic Tool.zip

yl3jb.png

We please ask that you do ZIP or RAR the file, thus reducing its size, as this will help solve your problem and reduce overall disk consumption on our servers. For help using file compression, please watch this video:

Important! Every thread starter please see. Please download and run CPU-Z from this link CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
We would like to see screen shots or a single image that includes All The Tabs in CPU-z including All Slots under the SPD Tab that are populated with memory sticks. Minimally the memory tab and all Slots under the SPD Tab but all tabs would be appreciated. You can include them in the folder that the SF Diagnostic Tool creates for you on your desktop (before zipping) and after compressing the folder attach it to your next post by clicking reply, then go advanced and using the paper clip on the tool bar to browse, find the zipped folder and upload it here.

View attachment 17151Click image to Enlarge
How to take a screenshot, Snipping Tool: Start Menu > Accessories > Snipping Tool Snipping Tool - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows Or press Alt-PrintScreen while CPU-Z window is running and active, and then paste it to MS Paint and save.

Also Download PassMark RAMMon and attach the HTML Report.
rammon-mainscreen.png

Note: Please start new thread when you ask help for you. Please don't post in others thread because it could cause confusion. We want to give individual attention to every poster to deliver the best technical support. And please do not attach your dump files individually (unless there is only one). Put all information you intend to attach into one folder, compress that folder and attach it as per the instructions above.
Hope this helps, Captain

Download: View attachment W7F Diagnostic Tool.zip

If the tool comes back with no dump file found please check your settings are set like this:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

You'll then need to wait until you have another BSOD event. Once that happens you should then see a dump file created unless your running with no page file or one that's below 200MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back