Windows 7 How to Change the Sort Order for Numbers in File and Folder Names

In XP and Vista it was possible to change the sorting order for numbers in file and folder names, by defining NoStrCmpLogical=1 in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
(ref http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319827)

When I do this in Windows 7 RC (64 bits) nothing happens. Do you have a clue? Has this nice feature been removed?

If you know how to change the sorting please let me know.

Regards
Harald

Last edited:

reghakr

Essential Member
Hello harald,

Try this for sorting order:

1.test.txt
2.addservices to my computer.reg.
3.my.doc

Hi

Thanks for responding. Sorry, I did not get your point. Did you think I should create those files, or was it a reference to other files with more information? (can’s see any links)

Regards Harald

reghakr

Essential Member
Sorry,,

No, it was simply an example.

that's how I arrange my favorites in IE

Then I have to explain the full story J

In Windows 2000 file names was sorted as

11.txt
5.txt
88.txt

In Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 the default sorting is
5.txt
11.txt
88.txt

I have named a lot of pictures as “YYYY.MM.DD. – Subject”. Sometime I name a file “YYYY – Subject” (depending on how much information I have about the date). If I don’t know the year I name it “YYYx – Subject” (YYYx means the last digit is unknown – ex “196x – Subject” if the picture is from the period 1960-1969). The problem is the new Win7 sorting which list files named 196x before 1900 (as Win7 think I want it sorted as number 196 and not as ASCII strings). Hopefully this is more understandable.

In Vista / XP and Windows Server 2003 the “Windows 2000 sorting” (which I want) can be activated by a registry setting.

My question was if somebody knows how to do this in Win7 RC (64 bit). I have tried the registry hack for Vista, but no success.

Any solution is welcome….

Last edited:

reghakr

Essential Member
This is probably not what you're looking for, but I have an old version of ACDSEE that allows you to add comments to pictures.

There is a also a tool tip extension that shows the EXIF data inside the graphic.

I'll have to look that program up.

Could you post the registry hack so i could look it over?

Hi and thanks again

The registry hack for XP/Vista is listed in the first posting.

In XP and Vista it was possible to change the sorting order for numbers in file and folder names, by defining NoStrCmpLogical=1 in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
(ref http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319827)

reghakr

Essential Member
Sorry

Read it previously. I think I'm getting early Alzheimer's

Did you try both the 1 and 0 settings and restart your computer after making the changes?

Sorry to bother you – but I have found the solution. I had not tested enough.

In XP I used this REG file:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\List Order]
"Type"="checkbox"
"Text"="Sort file lists as text instead of number values"
"ValueName"="NoStrCmpLogical"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"UncheckedValue"=dword:00000000
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Policies\\Explorer"
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoStrCmpLogical"=dword:00000000

In XP this reg file creates a checkbox where the “sorting optionâ€Â￾ can be switched on/off (in “Tools | Folder Options | Viewâ€Â￾). This work grate and it did exactly what I wanted.
When I used the Reg-file on Win7 RC, nothing happened. I can select (Tick on/off) but nothing happens as in XP. Then I conclude wrong that the "NoStrCmpLogical" setting did not work in Win 7 RC.

The problem is that the “switchingâ€Â￾ system does not work in Win7. But when I set the registry value, Win7 / Explorer work exactly as wanted.

Sorry to bother you about this – but I have learned even more……

reghakr

Essential Member
Haral,

Just something to keep in mind when posting registry scripts.

For some reason, the forum software breaks words apart.

In your example:

CurrentVe rsion=CurrentVersion
Curr entVersion=CurrentVersion

Please let people know that or you'll get a barrage of people telling you your script does not work.:)

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.