How to create an USB stick image (like ISO for DVD)?

pstein

Extraordinary Member
Assume I created a bootable USB stick with some additional software on it.

Now I want to backup the whole stuff into an archive file on my hard disc.

If I would have an CD/DVD I could create a well known ISO file for it which contains everything.

How do I do this for an USB stick?

If I just copy all files+folders through Winexplorer into a certain folder on my hard disc then all hidden+system files are NOT copied. As well as the boot MBR management files.

So is there a method of really copying everything (inclunding the boot sectors)?

The image should be ready for re-burn onto (another) USB Stick.

How does this work?

Peter

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
As far as I know there is no file format for an image you can burn to a clean flash drive and make it bootable.

Since to make a flash drive, you have to make it bootable and then copy the OS files to it, possibly you could use a script in Diskpart to configure the drive and then just copy the files.

If you are trying to create a portable version of the OS you could run from the flash drive, I have no experience. But since there are not formats for such a file, it would have to guess it is not possible to just be able to save or burn such a configuration.

I do see some sites that discuss cloning a flash drive. Maybe something like that might get you started. And if you can clone one, possibly you could back it up and re-image. But again, I have not tried.

Dozryan

I think this is what you want to do: Make a back up of your USB drives. This tool can help you do this:Download USB Image Tool 1.62 (ZIP, 216 KB)

This lets you backup your USB drive and then restore them.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.