Windows 7 How to Create Task for MSE Scan??

proteus459

I'm trying to create a scheduled task that will wake my computer weekly to run a Security Essentials full scan. Apparently, the MSE scheduler does not wake the computer for scans but DOES put the computer to sleep during a scan if the sleep timer is set for less time than the scan requires (mine is).

I have created a new Win 7 (64-bit) account to run the task because of apparent conflicts with doing so in the other user account. The main problem I'm having involves the "details" column of the "Actions" tab in the task properties; I don't know what to enter as the path for the MSE full scan so I can't tell Windows what program to start.

Has anyone actually had experience creating a scheduled task to run a MSE full scan to a schedule and waking the computer to do so? I'd appreciate some help if you have.

create a new basic task

called it what you want

triggers - what ever you want

action - wat ever you want

action - start a program
program/script
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\MpCmdRun.exe"

arguments
Scan -ScanType 2

done ;)

right click the task > properties > run with highest privledges :)

Last edited:
I created a new basic task to run on Monday at 0100. I followed your model exactly:

action = start a program

script = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\MpCmdRun.exe" including the quotation marks

arguments = Scan -ScanType 2 - all spaces and the dash as per your example

General = Run with highest privileges - enabled

Conditions = Wake computer to run this task - system will be in sleep mode at that time

The previous task I created never ran because apparently Windows could not find the path I entered as the program.

I'll report my results.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello thank you for the like,

you can simply test this before hand to see if the program iwill work in task sched' right click the task and click run, a black box should come up saying starting scan

to add aswell make sure you have ticked "run wherther user is logged on or not" :)

just to make sure :p

Last edited:
I highlighted and right-clicked the entry as shown. Nothing happened. Tried in both primary account and in special password-protected account created to resolve permission conflict that exists when "run whether or not user is logged on" is checked in "conditions".

2011-09-11_050808.jpg

tick run only when user is logged on instead of my above post :p

Thanks... that did the trick.

I scheduled the task for 0100 today before putting the system to sleep last night and according to both the Task Scheduler log and the MSE UI the scan ran successfully as scheduled and the system was asleep this morning.

I have turned off the MSE internal task scheduler (which was set for 2 PM Tuesday) and will let the Windows Task Scheduler handled the weekly scan instead. Any problem with that?

Appreciate your help greatly!

Now the only thing that remains to do is to download and install the EICAR test file in System 32 and re-run the task at its reduced privileges to see if MSE detects the file and what it does with it.

I may need the elevated privileges (which are unchecked as per instructions) to quarantine or remove the test file.

I have not mentioned that I do not use a password to log onto this system.

as far as im aware the scan is just a scan and the actsion taken will be done be done by the acutaly MSE program, If you go to settings within MSE you can alter what MSE will do on each level of threat i.e auto remove on severe quarntine etc. id say set these up to remove on all settings then try the test

in addition i also beleive that MSE cleans its self automatically if no actoin is taken within about 15 mins,

i

When the system builder and I configured MSE we set it up to "remove; remove; quarantine; quarantine;" in that order from the top down. MSE "suspended" this threat. I downloaded 2 forms of EICAR (the .com and the .zip) after talking with my builder by phone this morning and moved them into the "System 32" directory from the desktop. (Had to turn off MSE "Real-Time protection" to get them in the door)

After the task scheduler scan, MSE reported that it had found 1 threat and had suspended it. Since I can't find either downloaded EICAR file in system 32 I am assuming that MSE found "DOS/Eicar" removed both files and reported just 1 virus.

Anyway, I think everything works and I can schedule scans for times when the system is asleep. I'm puzzled why Microsoft didn't include a MSE scan task in the Task Scheduler or include a "wake the computer" option in the MSE scheduler.

Again, thanks for the help!

EICAR is severe threat so this shlould be removed. i would personally set them all to remove, and then if the scan finds them over night then it cant automaticallt remove them after about 10 -20 mins of it finding them,

ive tried and tested and it does work

Your more than welcome too, im happy to help

Back