Windows 7 How to edit/disable function keys?

jzheng1996

Hi, I recently purchased my HP Pavillion dv5 laptop, and it has windows 7. I have another Windows 7 laptop as well. However on this laptop, whenever I press the f1 button, the help menu appears. The f2, screen dims, f3 screen brightens, so on and so forth. This woulden't be much of a problem, but when I play games on my computer, and I need to press these f1, f2, f3 etc. buttons, the help menu appears, screen dims/brightens etc. There is extremely annoying because the game I play relies heavily on these function keys. I have tried calling help lines, one to a windows 7 tech site called like iYogi or something. EXTREMELY unhelpful, spent over an hour talking to an indian man who could barely speak english. I also tried contacting HP tech support, didn't get much help there either. If anyone could help me so that when I press these function keys, none of these annoying things happen, but when I press these function keys in game, the in-game functions work. If this thread is in the wrong section, I'm sorry, this is my first time useing this fourm.

On my Dell, the option of having the primary function of those keys is in the bios/setup routine. I do not remember how to get to it, but it seems it is one of the booting F8 options, or perhaps another F key. It might also be set by an HP utility driver loaded on your system to get special keys to behave in a specific manner.

If you can't find anything there, perhaps you can find something in the game to remap the keys.

You may also find something in the Control Panel-Keyboard dialog, Custom Key Settings.

Back