How to get into cmd

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Tristan, May 30, 2012.

1. Tristan

Tristan New Member

Hey Guys,
    I was wondering if anyone knew how you could get to the command prompt, when the computer is shutting down, so that you could abort the shutdown. I know how to abort the shutdown once I am into the cmd, but I want to know how to get into the command prompt.
    Thanks!

2. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Quickest way to access it is to goto programs, accessories, command prompt, right click and send a shortcut to it to the desktop and run it from there. Might help to set the properties of the shortcut to run as administrator.

3. alberto

alberto New Member

Have you tried making a shortcut to the Command Prompt with the command to abort shutdown already in the shortcut?
    Desktop -> Right Click -> New -> Shortcut -> location of the item: "cmd /k shutdown /a" (without the quotes) -> Next -> type a name -> Finish.
    I assume you will be using the shutdown /a command, but feel free to replace it with whatever you prefer.
    Hope it helps!

4. doni49

doni49 New Member

Quicker way: Press the "Windows Key + R" at the same time. This will bring up the "Run" dialog. Type cmd and press enter.

5. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

You could use the three links I have created in the attached zip file and edit them to create your own options for the shutdown command:

Attached Files: