How to get Skype Working in Windows 8 Build 8102!

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Software' started by Mitchell_A, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Mitchell_A

Mitchell_A Excellent Member

If you grabbed the Windows Developer Preview in excitement like many of us did, you may also have been displeased and somewhat confused to see the popular IM/calling program, Skype was not working.

Skype claimed they released a version (5.5.117) of the program on Wednesday that was compatible with Windows 8. This is completely true, however if you attempt to download Skype currently via skype.com, the build you're getting is not 5.5.117, but rather a much earlier build, 5.3. This build will work in a "run once" type of scenario where it will run on first launch, but crash every launch afterwards (Encountered an error and needs to close). To ensure you get the right installation package (one that WORKS), follow this link to get Skype 5.5.117 full installer:

Installer Here

1 person likes this.
  2. nmsuk

nmsuk Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

I ran into this problem. Even with the latest build it may still crash. On one install I had to reinstall it after every reboot which was less than ideal.

3. Mitchell_A

Apparently the Skype servers have now been set straight.. Not a moment too soon to render this post useless. It worked 3 consecutive times for me though.

4. dennis

dennis New Member

Thanks it worked ;)

5. rowal5555

rowal5555 New Member

Thanks. This was a big annoyance. All good.

6. Mitchell_A

No problem guys, though it now seems the Skype servers are providing the correct download version.