Windows 7 How to have two different profiles/user accounts on one Windows 7 laptop for general and music use

sleipnir

Hi,

I use my laptop for general use but also for processor intensive home studio audio recording. Rather than disable wirless, anti-virus software and a bunch of other things that can help me reduce processor drain each and every time I use it for music, I'd love to be able to have a different profile or maybe user account so that when I start up and choose that user/profile, wireless will automatically be disabled, most non-essential software (such as anti virus since I am not online) will not be run, etc.

I created a second user that I intended to use for the music related work. However, when I look at the hidden startup folder associated with either user, I see nothing (I have chosen to view hidden folders and files). If I run msconfig, I see many programs on the startup list. Amongst those are is antivirus software. It appears that when I deselect any program, it will not run regardless of which user I log in as, so it must be some sort of global setting. I still want most programs to run when I log in to use the laptop for general use (e.g. when I surf the web, I want the antivirus software to be active), so making such a global change does not seem to help me.

My question is, can I somehow make these programs run only when I log in as a certain user? If not, is there another possible solution that would allow me to achieve the goals described above?

Also, is there a way to selectively activate/deactivate wireless depending on which user I log in as?

Not sure if any of this makes sense to anyone, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm facing same problem. Is there any way to disable services and program startups per user account.
I would like to have a normal user account with almost all services running, but also a high performance account with minimum services running.
It's so stupid that disabling services affects all accounts in windows installation.

Back
Top Bottom