Windows 7 How to install a fax modem on my HP computer?

robertdork

Good day,
I recently purchased a small usb fax modem from ebay. It is a simple device, with a usb connector on one end, and a receptacle for a telephone line on the other end. So obviously, this is not difficult to "install". But my problem concerns getting the correct drivers installed. The unit came with a mini-cd-rom which has some drivers. But there are no instructions. It also contained a "Read Me" file, but unfortunately this was i Chinese and I couldn't read it.

The computer specs :
HP200-5120IS, (All-in-one )
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition
Intel Pentium E5400 / 2.7 GHz, Dual-Core
64-bit Computing
Cache Memory Per Processor 2 MB
4.0 GB, DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive 500.0 GB -7200 rpm
DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - Serial ATA
LCD display - TFT active matrix, 21.5 in
Graphics - Integrated GMA X4500HD

I was hoping someone might be able to assist me in getting this little unit to work.

Ok, if you goto device manager with the device plugged in you may see it listed under other device. Right click it and click update driver software. Click on browse my computer for driver software and navigate to the cd. Select whatever .inf it wants and click ok. Hopefully that should do the job. If not come back and we'll see whatever else we can do :)

To nmsuk,
Thanks for the reply... I looked in the device manager, but did not see anything that looked like it might be related to my little fax modem.
When I plug this item into the usb slot, I do not get any message saying it was detected, which I would normally expect.
O.K., after searching some more, I found something about the fax modem. In Control Panel>Hardware and Sound> Devices and Printers, it is listed as "USB Modem". I click on this, and a window opens titled "USB Modem Properties". Under device information:
Manufacturer: Unavailable
Model: USB Modem
Model Number: Unavailable
Categories: unknown
Description: Unavailable
Armed with this useless info, I clicked on the hardware tab which indicated the item location was: Port_#0001.Hub_#0003, followed by a note indicating the item was working properly.
I then clicked on "Properties" which told me there were no drivers installed for this device. I clicked on the Driver tab, and then "Driver Details', at which tie a small window opened up and informed me ,"No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device.
I clicked "O.K." and navigated back to the forum.

Last edited:
O.K., one more thing and then I guess I'll drop this subject. I have a SONY VAIO laptop about five years old, running Windows XP Pro. I hooked the fax modem up on this machine and it works immediately, no cd-rom disk, no drivers to install, nothing. It is confusing to me, but I can live with it.

Plug the fax modem into a USB port on your rig. Install the drivers off the disc that came with the fax modem. Go to the Control Panel in Win7. click on Devices and printers. click on Add a Device at the top left hand corner of the Window. Follow the instructions....

Last edited:
like to join the thread-have same problem w my usb modem. HP Pro machine 64 bit. Windows 7 home premiume. installed the right driver from the mini cd, all seems ok, used the "Windows Fax and Scan" program, tried to disconnect and reinstall. nothing changes the verdict:- but fax status is not changed "usb moden fax line unavailable". any ideas to get over this?

Last edited:
@Robert - Did you go out to the modem maker's website to see if there are W7 drivers for that piece of hardware? And not just W7 drivers, but 64-bit Windows 7 drivers.

@cuby1 - Although your problem appears similar, it is not proper to post your problem in another posters thread as that may distract the advice due him/her. Therefore, I recommend you start your own thread with your own problem.

@Robert - Did you go out to the modem maker's website to see if there are W7 drivers for that piece of hardware? And not just W7 drivers, but 64-bit Windows 7 drivers.

@cuby1 - Although your problem appears similar, it is not proper to post your problem in another posters thread as that may distract the advice due him/her. Therefore, I recommend you start your own thread with your own problem.

Sorry Digerati if I made mistake. I just had the same problem w same issues, and wanted to collaborate ideas, especially after Robert wrote in last message that he gives up. :redface:

Robert, if you still following this thread, I'v come to the solution and it works, even I'm not sure what was the reason: I'v got by mail from the seller a link to his ftp site and downloaded the driver again. at 1st the system told me that its the same and nothing changed. then I unistalled the driver from device manager and used his new setup. restarted the computer and it works fine. if you like that driver too write me personally. hope it helped:)

Last edited:
Back