Windows 7 How to install an HP Printer Software

frustrated

Any ideas how to put in compatibility mode to accept the dvd or do I need to download software and then how would I make that compatible. It worked in beta just forgot.

You should be able to put in the DVD, open up the directory, and then change the compatibility settings for the setup or autorun .exe. I wouldn't know of any other solution since I'm connected to a printer through a network (W7 loaded standard drivers).

i have hp officejet 6300 all in one connect trought network, but now when i tried w7 rc x64 hp install wizard didnt detect network, and for usb its better but also installation didnt complet correctly, in w7 rc x86 hp wizard finaly detect network printer but it also finish with error , and for usb it has same behavior as in win7 rc x64.
Only one way is possible add directly by add printer in windows but then fax is not work.

Do you have any solution? thanks.

The exact error message would help us

If there is a setup.exe file on the disk, choose Run As Administrator.

I had to do this on several occasions with some old software I wanted to install

i have hp officejet 6300 all in one connect trought network, but now when i tried w7 rc x64 hp install wizard didnt detect network, and for usb its better but also installation didnt complet correctly, in w7 rc x86 hp wizard finaly detect network printer but it also finish with error , and for usb it has same behavior as in win7 rc x64.
Only one way is possible add directly by add printer in windows but then fax is not work.

Do you have any solution? thanks.
Hi mb2000

I will try to help if I can fully understand the type of your netwok and how you have setup the shares in each of the networked computers, and ascertain if all their network adapters have been configured and the Router is set up properly to make the network and Internet access.

I am asking the following questions based on my assumption you have a homenetwork where you are having problem accessing the HPOJ 6300 Series Multifuntion Device.
  1. How many PCs you have in your Network? What are the Operating systems in each?
  2. Are you able to View itself and other computers in the Homenetwork if you click open Network in Win 7 running PC?
  3. Are you able to View itself and other computers in the Homenetwork including the Win 7 PC if you click open Network Places or Computers Near me in each of the non-Win7 PCs in the homenetwork?
With the answers to that I can help you start the step wise troubleshoot if you like.:)

Cd/dvd

Any ideas how to put in compatibility mode to accept the dvd or do I need to download software and then how would I make that compatible. It worked in beta just forgot.

In Win7 RC the autorun is disabled so you need to left click on your device letter (Computer) and either choose open or explore and then look for setup or however HP uses it installation lingo on the disk.

Hi mb2000

I will try to help if I can fully understand the type of your netwok and how you have setup the shares in each of the networked computers, and ascertain if all their network adapters have been configured and the Router is set up properly to make the network and Internet access.

I am asking the following questions based on my assumption you have a homenetwork where you are having problem accessing the HPOJ 6300 Series Multifuntion Device.
  1. How many PCs you have in your Network? What are the Operating systems in each?
  2. Are you able to View itself and other computers in the Homenetwork if you click open Network in Win 7 running PC?
  3. Are you able to View itself and other computers in the Homenetwork including the Win 7 PC if you click open Network Places or Computers Near me in each of the non-Win7 PCs in the homenetwork?
With the answers to that I can help you start the step wise troubleshoot if you like.:)

1. two pc, desktop and notebook /wifi/, but during installation just one pc was connect to router DLINK DI-524UP and problem was also with usb connection too.
2. by add printer i see my network printer, but in installer x64 - it didnt see network, and in x86 installer - printer was vissible but adding printer finish with error result - i mean it wasnt succes but hp installer didnt said what was the problem, for this i can do wireshark log if you want?
3. i didnt try but next weekend i can try it, becose i need full function of my hp all in one in the bussnes week, so i add image of winXP back.

The exact error message would help us

If there is a setup.exe file on the disk, choose Run As Administrator.

I had to do this on several occasions with some old software I wanted to install

i tried both solution, 1st made installation from hp cd, then i download newest drivers and i tried install it run as administrator and both had same result.

maybe problem have hp company in their drivers, they are using ICMP protokol in network comunication, in past i had with this problem but my colleague said whats the problem from wireshark log, so i turn of detection of ICMP in my firewall, but in win 7 i turn of firewall too. but it doesnt help.

Last edited:
Have you tried installing from one of the other computers on the network and choose the Network printer option?

When you choose add printer, select Add a Network, wireless,printer. It will search for it and hopefully find it.

After downloading the file, extract the contents and see if there is an inf file located there, then when the printer wizard asks for the location, navigate to the extracted files folder and select that .inf file.

You might also want to take a look at this page:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Have you tried installing from one of the other computers on the network and choose the Network printer option?

When you choose add printer, select Add a Network, wireless,printer. It will search for it and hopefully find it.

After downloading the file, extract the contents and see if there is an inf file located there, then when the printer wizard asks for the location, navigate to the extracted files folder and select that .inf file.

You might also want to take a look at this page:

Officejet 6300 series (DOT4USB) Download - HP USB Drivers

just in one pc i can make experience with os, and on second pc i have vista x86 sp1 and printer is correctly installed., and here i cant make experience with systems.

in win7 x64 - installer didnt detect network
in win7 x86 - installer found network, made search and found printer, but when i press next for install drivers then appear problem with connection /progress bar appear about installing drivers for network printer but during this process it was stop with result any problem in network./

when i add this printer by add printer in windows then printers was find and add correctly, but my mistake i can not be sure becose i didnt try something print out.

and that site contain official hp drivers? becose that site look as not official site of hp.

Last edited:
Issue resolved for HP print driver for Windows Seven

Since Windows 7 is based on Vista, you have to use the Vista printer driver install programs for your specific HP printer. The problem that occurs with most Vista printer driver installs in a Windows 7 environment is that the HP install program verifies that your operating system is either Vista 32 or Vista 64 and that you must be the Administrator to install. These errors make the install process abort because install requirements are not satisfied normally in Windows 7.

I discovered a workaround which allowed me to successfully install my HP printer in Windows 7.

This is specific for my printer but can be followed as an example in your particular HP printer install:

1. Download the HP Printer driver install EXE file from the HP website for your printer under Vista, according to 32 or 64 bit as required.
Place install file on your desktop to find it easily.

2. Right-click the EXE file and 7-Zip to extract the contents of the EXE file into a directory on the desktop.
(WinRAR can also be used to extract the contents.)

3. Open that directory and scroll down to Setup which is identified as an application.

4. Right-click the file and select "Properties." Click the "Compatibility" tab at the top of the resulting window.

5. Check off "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose "Windows Vista" from the pop-up menu.

6. Check "Run this program as administrator" at the bottom of the window, then press "Apply," then "OK."

7. Scroll down the directory until you find the “autorunâ€Â￾ file which is identified as Setup Information.
Open the autorun.ini file and scroll down the text file until you find: oslist=600,600_64
600 is Vista 32 operating system and 600_64 is Vista 64 operating system.

8. Edit this line in NotePad to: oslist=600,600_64,601
601 is Windows 7 operating system which will allow the install to work in Windows 7.
Save your changes to the same file.

9. Make sure your printer is powered up and the USB cable is disconnected from the printer.

10. Double-click the "Setup" file and run the software installer.
If you did everything correctly, the install should now completely install your HP printer in Windows 7.
You can burn the directory contents onto a CD and make yourself a new HP Printer Install for Windows 7.

I did turn OFF my UAC in Windows 7, anti-virus and malware programs during the install process to make sure they did not interfere with the install.

Enjoy!!!

Back
Top Bottom