How to make Windows 7 open preferred Chrome profile ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Carl, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Carl

Carl New Member

I've changed the location of my Chrome user profile folder, and created a shortcut which has –user-data-dir=”d:\new chrome user directory location" appended to its target. But when Chrome is opened any other way than via this shortcut, for instance when launching a web page file saved to my computer, Windows opens Chrome with the old profile. How can that be fixed?

Carl

2. zvit

zvit Honorable Member

3. Carl

Carl New Member

Thanks, but the article doesn't solve the problem. Windows has the default browser path mapped to AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\Chrome.exe, I take it. Since Chrome.exe launches without the "--user-data-dir=”d:\new chrome user directory location" switch, it will run using the default Chrome profile, rather than my relocated one. I'm guessing that a registry alteration is necessary. But what are the registry keys that deal with an individual user's default browser settings?

Carl

4. zvit

zvit Honorable Member

You can search around HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell

Or do a search in regedit and replace of all the chrome.exe in the registry with the specific command link...

So "C:\Users\PROFILE-NAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -- "%1"

would be replaced with

"C:\Users\PROFILE-NAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --user-data-dir="C:\Chrome Profile \location" --omnibox-popup-count=10 -- "%1"

Make Google chrome with specific user profile as default browser - Super User

#4 zvit, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  5. Carl

Carl New Member

Thanks for the pointers. I'll have to have a think about the registry changes, when I've got a bit more time. Could you tell me what "%1" and "omnibox-popup-count=10", mean/do?

Carl

6. zvit

zvit Honorable Member

What they mean is something I'm proud that I don't know. Since although I see myself as a computer expert, meaning, that if I researched it for a few minutes, I'd find the answer, if I knew what every dot and command meant technically, I'd turn into a computer freak or computer geek, and those are terms I tried very hard staying away from :) I even once had an urge to look up what the "sysrq" button is for, since it's on every keyboard and I never used it and never met a person who knew what is was... well, curiosity got a hold of me and I looked it up and know what it is but I wished I hadn't. I don't want to know EVERYTHING... :)

7. Carl

Carl New Member

Yes, life's short. And we really oughtn't to spend too much of it on "sysrq" or trying to discover what the heck's happened to "stereo mix", I suppose.