Windows 7 How to re-format a partition?

cyberized

the person I got my HTPC from partitioned the HD into 3 ---- in/on the 2nd one he installed W. Vista that someone gave him and he had the understanding that it was "good to go" BUT then found out that after awhile he could not use it because it wanted something he did not have...............I have W'7 RC 7100 on 1st Drive........I would like to get Vista OFF of the 2nd partition before I UPGRADE to Full W'7.........I have tried deleting all files on the drive [tells me must ask TrustedInstaller's Permission - cannot find him or her] Hee Hee! I have told it to Format Drive "D" and/or Delete the Volume and it will not do either.
Can someone PLEASE tell me how to get rid of this Vista and Program Files on my present D drive?

TKS michael:confused:

When you boot from the windows 7 install disk you have the option to remove all partitions then install when you go to CUSTOM install.

When you boot from the windows 7 install disk you have the option to remove all partitions then install when you go to CUSTOM install.
this setting does not work properly in win 7 you need to reformat the drive from in vista first or download and install paragon partition manager and run it first or if you don't have a second drive run it from your dvd and format the drive that way wich is what i had to do!

I must be lucky... it's worked for me about 3 times on a couple different computers. Once the partitions are removed there is no need to format.. in fact the format option is greyed out then.

THANKS for tips.......BUT.......I do not want to do the "Custom" Install......when my Upgrade Disc arrives I want to do the Install that just UPGRADES everything to W'7 w/o wiping everything out...........BUT..........I would LOVE to be able to re-format or delete the Partition that presently has the unuseable W' Vista on it before I do the Upgrade.
Right now - from what I hear thus far, I don't think that it is possible????? BUT if possible - please tell me HOW?

TKS michael

THANKS for tips.......BUT.......I do not want to do the "Custom" Install......when my Upgrade Disc arrives I want to do the Install that just UPGRADES everything to W'7 w/o wiping everything out...........BUT..........I would LOVE to be able to re-format or delete the Partition that presently has the unuseable W' Vista on it before I do the Upgrade.
Right now - from what I hear thus far, I don't think that it is possible????? BUT if possible - please tell me HOW?

TKS michael

There are several people here who are very experienced and can tell you how. The only advice I ever give about partitions is to buy another hard drive.. install windows 7 and leave the partitions alone, on the old drive, until you are sure you have everything you want off of them... THEN REMOVE THEM from that drive and format it and use it as a backup. All this partition business came about when hard drives cost $1 or more per GB. The price now is down to 5 CENTS per gb. Way too cheap to risk losing your important data. Look at the help wanted messages ... the largest percentage is about partitions.

TKS michael
try right clicking on the drive in question and click format if you have a working OS if not do you have more than one hard drive? and if so if you have stuff in your c drive you want to keep! move it to your other drive! or a borrowed external would do! or as the other member pointed out hard drives are very cheap now and always a good investment before a new OS install. Use moz backup for your bookmarks! export your emails, find the windows 7 drivers for your motherboard download and put them on your second drive or cd/usb/drive in case you need them at or before install! now use the backup utility and make a backup of your system and put it on your external in case your install fails or if you decide win 7 is no good a backup is handy!!! now your ready I had trouble with custom in win 7 because my hard drive was not recognized as a system drive you may not face this issue if your system is only 1-2 hard drives when you get to the custom menu click on the advanced tab and choose your hard drive make sure you know the exact size in mb's of you the drive with the nonworking vista you want to format before you start! highlight the drive your old system was on and click format thats it! win 7 should install! if it has trouble formating use paragon it can format the drive from a cd. I highly recommend you do your install on a freshly formated drive/partition and NOT choose the upgrade option!! as the file system from an upgrade sucks and your installed software will NOT function properly

Last edited:
Probably the reason for your dilemma is that Vista has the Boot manager installed on it's own partition. The easiest way to move it to the Windows 7 (and active) partition is to download and use Easybcd (It's free).

Run the program and use EasyBCD to edit the bootloader.
Use EasyBCD to
1) Change the bootloader to make Windows 7 the default, and
2) Move the bootloader files to Windows 7 partition.
3) Remove the Vista entry
This makes Windows 7 the default O/S and you should be able to format the Vista partition. Use the quick format option.

Back
Top Bottom