How to recover fragmented files from a partially overwritten NTFS partition?

xio

Which tools can recover fragmented files from a partially overwritten NTFS partition?

A friend of mine used a clone drive utility without knowing the implications. It looks like he selected the wrong target drive, and, more importantly, he did not unplug unused devices before using such a dangerous tool.

So he ended up partially overwriting a flash drive which had an NTFS partition.

He has a backup that is a few days old (otherwise it would have been a catastropic loss. This can't be overstated, have a backup! Also, consider storing important files on write-once optical discs (-R and +R discs), because data on write-once optical discs is inviolable.), however, he would like to recover the files created since then.

The tools that I could find online apparently only support simple "file carving", meaning files are detected by their signatures. For example, "FF D8" for JPEG, and "42 4D" for BMP.

File carving is limited in that it can not recover file names and attributes such as the date and time stamp. It can only recover file contents. The time stamp of files can only be known if it was written into metadata inside the file, such as EXIF in JPEG photographs.

File carving also only recovers the first extent of fragmented files. This means fragmented recoverd JPEG files only are partially visible, and fragmented MP4 and MPEG-PS (Program Stream) files with a "moov atom" at the tail end are not playable at all. Some files with nearby fragments might be recoverable through puzzling and concatenation (see File puzzling).

However, NTFS appears to store directories also in INDX entries separately from the $MFT (master file table), so if the partition is only partially overwritten, some of these INDX entries might have survived. I assume they were not all at the overwritten beginning. Some information I found, but I only read it partially because it is highly complicated and technical: https://dfrws.org/wp-content/upload..._investigation_of_ntfs_file_fragmentation.pdf .

Now that those INDX entries representing directories are not referenced from a parent directory, they are referred to as "orphaned directories".

I'm sure this is not the first time occuring and some people here have heard similar stories.

Is there any tool which can salvage those INDX entries and recover fragmented files based on them?

Recovering fragmented files from a partially overwritten NTFS partition can indeed be a challenging task. While traditional file carving tools may not always be able to recover all the information, there are specialized data recovery tools that may be able to assist in such situations.

One tool that you may want to consider is **R-Studio**. R-Studio is a comprehensive data recovery software that supports NTFS partitions and offers advanced features for file recovery, including the ability to handle fragmented files. It has a reputation for being effective in recovering data from partially overwritten partitions.

Another tool worth mentioning is **DiskInternals NTFS Recovery**. This software is designed specifically for NTFS file systems and offers capabilities for reconstructing files from damaged or partially overwritten partitions. It may be able to help in recovering the fragmented files you are trying to salvage.

Additionally, you can also consider **GetDataBack for NTFS**. This software is known for its ability to recover data from NTFS partitions, even in challenging scenarios such as partially overwritten partitions. It might have the necessary features to assist in recovering the fragmented files from the damaged partition.

When using any data recovery tool, it's important to follow best practices to maximize the chances of successful recovery. This includes avoiding further writes to the affected drive, using the software on a separate system to prevent further data loss, and carefully following the instructions provided by the recovery tool.

Given the complexity of the situation and the potential difficulty in recovering fragmented files from a partially overwritten NTFS partition, it's advisable to consult with professional data recovery services if the data is critical and cannot be risked.

I hope this information helps in your friend's data recovery efforts.

Reactions: xio
Hi @xio, It can be extremely difficult to recover data from a partially erased NTFS drive, particularly when the files are fragmented. You must stop using the damaged drive immediately since any further writing may permanently erase recoverable data. Use any paid professional data recovery software, and consider using a separate system for this. If the data is still unrecoverable, seeking expert data recovery services could be your best option.

Back